Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 3, 2005, 11:44 PM   #11

I just checked Amazon. The Canon S2 IS is already listed. Amazon says the MSRP is US$549 but they will be selling it for US$499 and they will have it on June 30th. But, I know with the FZ20, Circuit City was selling them a month before Amazon was allowed to sell them. I know because I got my FZ20 from CC-online during that time frame.

Later,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 9:15 AM   #12

It looks like it has good ergonomics. The button placement looks better then the FZ.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:23 AM   #13

The grip looks good and I agree with teh Lovelife - the button placement looks slightly better than the FZ's.

As Noon's already stated this cam has the a 5MP 1/2.5" CCD so I don;t expect it to be better noisewise to the FZ's. I wonder why they didn;t try to use 1/1.8" or go for the 2/3CCD. Factor in lens quality that the Lecia design has and I still think the FZ's will still come out on top.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:40 AM   #14

I think the a bigger sensor size would have meant the whole camera would have to be much larger and probably more expensive.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:50 AM   #15

Boy, Canon looks like it copied the basic feature setof the FZ-20 and addressed some of its shortfalls (low light gainup,positioning of controls,and aswingout LCD). As others have noted, depending on image quality, Canon has clearly knocked the ball back into Panasonic's court and it will be interesting to see how Panny responds.

The good news is that we, the consumers, are getting the benefits of this turf war.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:21 PM   #16

It even has a time lapse mode, and you can zoom in and out when recording video.

If the picture quality is there... It will definately be an awesome camera.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:57 PM   #17

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I think image quality will be the big question. They're using a 1/2.5 sensor for 5 megapixels on the S2. The G5 had a larger 1/1.8 with 5 megapixels and was real noisy with a lot of CA, so we'll see how it turns out.
Yeah, I would wait to see what the images look like. The G5 is a very good camera but known to be noisey. Love the swivel LCD. That's the MAIN thing I would like on the Panasonics.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 4:43 AM   #18

Also waiting to see picture quality before diving in.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 7:17 AM   #19

Looks like Canaon is listening to their customers as well as the Panasonic cutomers. I think all the big zooms are using the same size sensor at 4 & 5 MP.

I had an S1 IS for about 2 or 3 weeks and returned it because of a defect (before I got my FZ20). The pics came out very good, but it had trouble focusing in low light (no assist light).

It looks like they took care of that issue not to mention adding a gain up function for low light shots. The swivel LCD was very nice and they made it bigger (from 1.5 to 1.8 in.) with the S2 IS.

I'm not saying that I don't love my FZ20, but it's inevitable that these other companies are going to catch up with the FZ's.

If the picture quality is there... I would say that this will be the first to give the Lumix's a run for their money.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 10:06 PM   #20

I was this close to getting the FZ5 but
when I looked at the S2 specs I
decided to wait. I can't ignore the AA
batteries and the low light assist. The
movie mode isn't that important to me
but I may use it at times. I wouldn't say
the swivel LCD is a factor to me but some
people say it's really useful so I guess I
should count that too. If the image quality