Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 3, 2005, 2:17 PM   #1

Well my FZ5 arrived today (more on that later) but I'm just trying to install the software and notice that it seems rather dated, especially compared to "Zoom Browser" that I used with my old Canon G2. From what I can see this version has been doing the rounds since 2002!

So as I normally do with free software I did a quick check for new versions to download. However there appears to be no where to download a newer version, in fact Panasonics download section is very poor to say the least!

I did a quick search on google and I've seen mentions of versions up to version 3.40E! Now with Canon all their cameras use the same software and updates to that software are made available to download when a new version is released, the version I've got installed now is far improved from the version I got with the camera.

So is there anywhere to get the latest version of this software? I've heard that Panasonics customer support is pretty bad, but this is ridiculous! What on earth do they have to gain by giving selective cameras selective versions of the same software? Surely it's in the customers best interest to download the latest version of Panasonics camera software? :?:

Edit: Apparently some cameras come with version 5!!!! I can't believe Panasonic don't allow users to download a newer version than the one shipped with their camera, especially when the camera is new!
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 3:50 PM   #2

I've never even bothered loading the program.. What does SD viewer do that you'd need an update? WinXP shows me everything I need to know on the SD card..

Jeff
:?:
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 4:08 PM   #3

I want an easy to use ultility that does the following:

* Auto loads when an SD card is detected
* Allows thumbnail preview where you can select what to download (would be nice to have exif data and a marker if it's been downloaded already also)
* Automatic downloading into a preset folder, with automatic subfolder creation (ie by month or shooting day etc)
* Has to be Freeware!

I think that about covers it, basically I want to insert my SD card, select new images, download them in indexed subfolders at a click of a button, and then delete them off the SD card, quickly simply and automatically in the same program.

Any suggestions?
Old May 3, 2005, 5:59 PM   #4

Why not use what you have been using and are accustom with?

My preference is Kodak easyshare but I am using PS album now.(not sure why)

But XP camera wizard does all the things you listed.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:10 PM   #5

go to http://www.picasa.com/ and download picasa 2 it will do all you want and more... best thing is it's free, I have had 5 different digital cameras and have never even thought about using any of the software that came with them, maybe I'm wrong but I assume it's usually crap.
atomicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:05 PM   #6

genece the reason I don't want to use my old one is because that is set up for my mum to use when uploading her photo's, mine are kept in a different location and it would be too awkward to keep swapping locations...

atomicfish THANK YOU! I didn't even know this program existed but I've had a play and it's great, doesn't work enitrely like I wanted it too, but the interface is so friendly it's encouraged me to rethink the way I store my photo's going forward.

It's an excellent program and one I'm sure to enjoy using from now on. It's so good I'm going to uninstall Panasonics default software along with all the others I've installed to try, I will leave ZoomBrowser for my mums photo's but going forward my software of choice is Picasa. Thanks for sharing!
Old May 4, 2005, 3:58 PM   #7

Your welcome, it's a great program for free, and your right it does store a little different but I am used now to organise everything by date, then if I want to sort by category/subject I just move every relevant pic over to another folder thats not watched by picasa... works for me.
atomicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 4:37 PM   #8

atomicfish wrote:
Quote:
Your welcome, it's a great program for free, and your right it does store a little different but I am used now to organise everything by date, then if I want to sort by category/subject I just move every relevant pic over to another folder thats not watched by picasa... works for me.
I love the timeline, the one problem with Zoombrowser was that the pictures tended to get burried, but I've just had great fun moving through the timeline looking at some old memories and finding some great shots I'd forgot about.

I also intend to make full use of the keywords, star and caption features for future pics with my FZ5 too, very useful indeed. It's to be expected from Google though, if their is one thing they're good at it's making useful high quality and user friendly products!
Old May 5, 2005, 9:18 AM   #9

I personally use http://www.majgaj.com/picmove/ and love its auto load feature when I connect my camera. Never used Pana s/w and never liked Canon's, but that's my preference. I like the least complicated and least cluttered solution for a simple task of moving pics to my PC and its freeware!!!
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 1:48 PM   #10

r0nn13 wrote:
Quote:
I personally use http://www.majgaj.com/picmove/ and love its auto load feature when I connect my camera. Never used Pana s/w and never liked Canon's, but that's my preference. I like the least complicated and least cluttered solution for a simple task of moving pics to my PC and its freeware!!!
Picasa also loads automatically when a camera or card is detected, it's a lot more "pollished" than most freeware ultilities, it has a very high quality feel to it and has lot's of useful features, I'm amazed it's free to be honest!