Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 4, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

So I'm looking to buy the FZ5. I was set to buythis cameralast week at CircuitCity but they did not have the camera in stock. CC had the camera online with a $50 rebate but I waited to long and the rebate offer is no more.

So now I'm looking and see that if you purchase the FZ5 after 5/22/05, you'll get a free 256mb memory card from Panasonic. Of course delivery on this card is 8-12 weeks. So my question is, is this worth the wait? The camera comes with a 16mb card I think.

On a side note, does anyone know how often Panasonic offers the $50 rebate?

Thanks.
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

A 256k card is a $22 item, I don't think I would let that keep me from purchasing the camera. Besides, you will probably buy a 512 or 1gb card anyways.... Onecall usually has it for $499, but you don't have to pay sales tax or shipping fees and they send it FedEx. Circuit City will almost always charge sales tax.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 4:47 PM   #3

You can get the FZ5 from Beach Camera or Buydig for $466 delivered and a 512mb Kingmax from New Egg for $45 delivered.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 5:12 PM   #4

Jedi5 wrote:
Quote:
So now I'm looking and see that if you purchase the FZ5 after 5/22/05, you'll get a free 256mb memory card from Panasonic. Of course delivery on this card is 8-12 weeks. So my question is, is this worth the wait? The camera comes with a 16mb card I think.
That's a new one!Wait 3 weeks to make purchase to get a free card in 8-12 weeks? What arethey thinkling of? Whatever happended to buy now to get a rebate? Oh well. No, it is not worth the wait and a 256 card isn't worth its weight, either. Get the camera for the best price you can find as soon as possible and start shooting. While you're waiting, get a $29 (after rebate) 512Kingston sd card here. The Kingston card may not be the fastest but at least it holds more than a half dozen shots; approx 400 at standard compression. Order a fast 512 card later. The prices are coming down all the time.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:06 PM   #5

I think 256mb will do for emergies but you will definately want a bigger one if you go away on holidays etc with your camera. I had a 1gb and a 256mb cards with me when I went away recently and still had to go to a photo shop two times to transfer photos onto cd's so I could take more photos!!!

I would also advise to get an extra battery as while the original does seem to give about 250 or so shots you will always want to be prepared as you might not have time to recharge right then....

Otherwise...I am sure you will not regret the purchase of FZ5. I, for one, am really happy with mine! :-)
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:55 PM   #6

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just going to get to the Camera through CC. I thought about buying the camera through online sites but I'm not sure how returns work if you aren't happy. I've read horror stories and want to stay away from that.

I too thought it was odd that this rebate kicks in two weeks from now. I had to do a double take to make sure I was reading it correctly.

Thanks again.
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:34 AM   #7

I got mine at only $398 in Singapore, heard they sell digital cameras than US, even the V3 is cheaper there. Memory cards are a bit expensive there though.

Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 7:57 AM   #8

FZ5 $399 at http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....;sku=PNDMCFZ5K
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 7:46 PM   #9

DO NOT Buy anything from Panasonic and expect a rebate. Doa search for battery and bag rebate and you will see what I mean. Originally it was 8 weeks, then 14 weeks and now after 17 weeks the latest answer from Panasonicis possibly another month or two.

I've been in contact with Circuit City who contacted Panasonic on my behalf and were told 2 more weeks. I'll give it 3 more weeks and then I'll be in contact with Circuit City again requesting once again that they take my camera back (which they have to do by law)
happychap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:06 PM   #10

Look at buydig like the other poster said, it is going for $395. Why even bother with places like CC.

I will probably advise about getting 2 256 cards than 1 512 or 1G card. Smaller ones are much cheaper and you won't loose everthing if something goes wrong.

I use 1GB cards on my 10D and even with shooting RAW, I can fit approx 150 images per card.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote