Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 4, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1

Though I think the FZ20 is a very good camera - the two main things I miss from my film SLRs is a proper optical viewfinder (not only because of the well known dark EVF problem, but also since the resolution of the EVF is a bit low for fine focussing control) and the total lack of any focus distance indication!

Though few cameras these daysare able to have distance-to-focus and depth-of-field marking on the lens barrels any more, I do not see why focus distance is not provided in the FZ20 on-screen display (like shutter speed, aperture etc). The camera must 'know' this lens setting, so why is itnot provided (either at time of shot framing or in subsequent EXIF)?

Not only does having a focus distance reading lessen problems with EVF darkening (and manual focus)or with autofocus having latched onto the wrong subject, but not knowing the focus distance severely restricts proper shot composition.

Even though I carry a Hyperfocal Distance Chart calibrated to the FZ20's zoom range (using a circle of confusion setting of 0.005mm), it is a limited use if you cannot easily tell how far away you are focussing on - makinglandscape etccomposition much more difficult than it should be. I could also do the calculations for near and far distances of acceptable sharpness roughly in my head if only it would tell me the focus distance - though strictly speaking this should also not be required, since the camera should also be able to calculate DOF easily and provide that as an on-screen reading too...

As important to shot composition that focus distance and DOF are, I cannot see why Panasonic left them off the FZ20. I suppose a firmware fix to add such a reading is out of the question?

:?:?:?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 2:11 AM   #2

Firmware fix? Panasonic? You must be kidding. To Panasonic; problem=feature.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:42 PM   #3

Though I was half-kidding about a fix (knowing what Panasonic is like in this regard) - I still cannot think of a decent reason for them leaving such distance readings off the cam in the first place...

At least with the dark EVF issue they can come up with some half-baked rationales for it (eg they wanted everyone to have the 'feature' of a constant exposure preview when in manual, or that shutter lag is reduced in manual if the lens if always stopped down, or that gain-up was too hard to add etc...), but for NO distance indication at all??

Some technical issue? They didn't think anyone needs it? They didn't think of it?
Dunno... :?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 10:14 PM   #4

I have heard a lot of people complaining about Panasonic ignoring their customers for a firmware fix. Then what happened with the FZ1 to FZ1v2 firmware update? That was a huge improvement I would say. Then why is Panasonic not willing to do the same for their higher-end FZ's?
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:06 AM   #5

David C wrote:
Quote:
Though I think the FZ20 is a very good camera - the two main things I miss from my film SLRs is a proper optical viewfinder (not only because of the well known dark EVF problem, but also since the resolution of the EVF is a bit low for fine focussing control) and the total lack of any focus distance indication!

[align=center]YES, DAMMIT! GIMME A FOCUS DISTANCE INDICATION![/align]
(Any chance Panasonic will hear me?)
Ty_Bower is offline   Reply With Quote