Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 5, 2005, 3:49 PM   #1

I just got my Fz5 about 48 hours ago and am still using the simple mode primarily. I tried a macro with flash in the house and got acresent-shaped shadow on the lower part of the picture. I have read and reread the manual and I did remove the lens hood, but I still get the shadow. I know it has to be me, but can someone tell me why. Any help would be deeply appreciated. I live way in the country and it is hard to drive to a camera store that might be able to help me. I am signed up to take classes at the Vo-Tech this summer, but if it could possibly be something wrong with the camera, I don't want to wait that long to find out. Thanks, Glori
oprakitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 3:55 PM   #2

It's probably a shadow from the lens using the on board flash at close distances. Not a camera defect.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 4:34 PM   #3

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. In other words, I have to compensate for itand use other lighting or crop, etc.

I thought when I got this camea I could just go out and take pictures of birds in trees the way I see other people taking them and posting on her. LOL (Such as the Osprey nest!). Can you advise me of the telephoto lens I will need with the Fz5 to take bird pictures at say 100 feet and get a good picture? Sorry to be so green about all of this. I have been an Okie for 65 years which may explain it or I am just too old to be starting to learn all of this now. Thanks again.
Old May 5, 2005, 4:37 PM   #4

They make a led macro light ring to remedy that , but there very expensive , im actually making one for my camera.See the thread" FZ10 User Guide" probably the best source for the learning experience. Just make sure you have plenty of light on the subject.

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 4:38 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum, Glori. You're too close to the subject and the extended lens is casting a shadowfrom the flash.If you step back to about three feet and go to 12x zoom in macro mode ("tele macro") that will eliminate the shadow. Of course, now you may be too far to get the magnicifcation you want. Your best bet is to get a +3 diopter macro lens which will focus at about 12" throughout the zoom with increased magnification as you increase the zoom. The adapter that comes with the fz5 has 55mm receiving threads in the front end. This is where you would attach a macro lens. Unfortunately, reasonably priced 55mm dual element (2 optical elements give good focus to the edges) macro lens are hard to come by. The solution there is to get another size threaded lens and use a step ring to bring it to 55mm. IMO, the best deal there is a nikon 4t +3 diopter dual element lens. It has 52mm threads so you would also need a 55-52mm step down ring. Both of these can be purchased for a total of$44 plus shipping at bhphotovideo.com. The nikon 4t is an excellent lens and will give you much more freedom for macros including shadowless flash since you will be 12" from the subject. This also cuts down on bee stings.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:25 PM   #6

Quote:
This also cuts down on bee stings
:G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:29 PM   #7

I sincerely appreciate each of you taking the time to help me. I knew there had to be a simple solution, just out of reach of my brain.
Old May 6, 2005, 1:15 PM   #8

oprakitas I can relate. I was trying to do macros yesterday with flash and got the same shadows.

Also I`m about your age and wanting to get inot close up photography. i have been looking into the Raynox 250 as the pic here looks very good.

Am hoping someone can explain the difference between a macro lens like the Raynox 250 and diopters like the nikon ones previously mentioned in this thread. Thanks. Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:29 PM   #9

Bob Ingman - in case you haven't found out your answer already, the Raynox (DCR)-250 is a 43mm lens! That would cause severe loss of field - vingnetting - on a FZ that needs a 52mm or larger. The specs for it indicate a 2 group, 3 element lens, so it "should" have good correcton. It is a 2.5 diopter semi macro add-on lens that on a camera with a smaller front element would be worth considering. For us, the Nikon or Olympus offerings are much better choices. The simple single element 'close-up' lens sets (+1,2,4,10) will cause edge distortion, etc. I carry a set for backup. A reversed lens from a 35mmSLR can also be used for extreme close up work. You will get into DOF problems, focus, and also illumination problems. There are work arounds but I am not an expert in the area.:-)

Tom

tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:39 AM   #10

I had this same problem with my FZ3. Not only did I remove the lens hood, I also removed the lens hood adapter. If you just run the camera bare, that cresent shape on flash photos will disappear.
Treasuredude is offline   Reply With Quote