Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 5, 2005, 8:49 PM   #1

Back in January I happily joined the FZ20 club and have been very satisfied with that decision.. Usually I second guess my purchases after making them but that hasn't been the case here.. Sure, there are a few gripes with the camera but nothing I can't work around.

Being infactuated with the FZ1 IR shots shown here and elsewhere, I decided to make the plunge.. The piggy bank finally said okay so the hunt was on.. Naturally, I missed the one $99 FZ1 from Unique so I placed a bid on a Ritz Camera auction for an open box / repaired (whatever that means) camera.. Normally I wouldn't do something like that but in this case, 30 day replace or refund policy gave me a small degree of comfort. I have to say that my experience with Ritz was top notch (so far).. The camera was sent within 24 hours of payment and tracking info was provided.. After a 2 day journey, UPS left the camera at my door.

The camera came in it's original USA market box with all of it's original packaging and documents. The serial number on the camera matches the one printed on the box. I don't think any of it had ever been opened.. Cables were tied as they would be from the factory, the 8Mb card is taped in it's proper place (and will probably stay there), the strap and adapter had never been installed on the camera.. There isn't a mark on anything.. Looks brand new.

My initial impression is favorable but if this is the same size as the FZ5, I'm glad I have the FZ20 instead. As I stated earlier, the reason for the purchase was to play with IR photos.. The FZ20 is VERY capable of doing IR but the idea of hauling a tripod around doesn't appeal to me.. I had considered a monopod but the one I want is into the $100 range. Couldn't justify it. So, for the cost of the monopod and the extra battery that I now have (I'll never carry both cameras), and a few extra $$, I have the ability to take hand-held IR photos.. I do have to admit that the details are much better in IR with the FZ1.. I intend to play with it extensively in the next several days, weeks, months, and hopefully years.. I'll post some photos when I get this camera figured out.

Jeff

:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 8:58 PM   #2

Congrats. I'd do the upgrade 'cause it opens up a lot of features.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:07 AM   #3

Did that almost immediately.. Even if it blows the 30 day warrenty, I knew from the first couple shots I wouldn't be happy with the limitations of just the FZ1.. It is now, much to my enjoyment, an FZ1v2 thanks to the FZ1 FAQ and fmoores instructions on how to get it done..

Jeff
Old May 6, 2005, 10:00 AM   #4

Welcome to the "club"! I was the lucky one to get the first order in to Unique on that black 99 (+shpg) camera!! That sure was an opportunity to be grabbed, and I did. There was an element of doubt wondering if it was indeed "too good to be true. Even risk if you have read some of the mailorder horror stories that have been posted!

NowI will wantto sell the silver 160 Ritz open box special (now FZ1v2) that I've been using forpart of the last year's 500 shots. I figure to ask for the mid point between the 2 as a price - 136 + shpg. - that will still be a bargain for someone. Of course, I'm not trying to sell it here on Steve's Forum, I'll do that via email. :-)

The "old" one didn't stay around long - it's already in the sold box! I'll recommend the new owner to post some shots here. I know she will enjoy it, there is already one inher family.
Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

So you are going to rub it in huh??? That's okay. By the time I saw the postings and the listing at unique the store had already closed for the day.. I wouldn't have ordered without talking to them first so I guess by monday it was long gone... Judging by the number of posts I've seen about it, the waiting list for another $99 special is about 100 people deep.

I buy ALL my high ticket items (cameras, etc) mail order these days.. The savings is just too great to ignore.. I like my local shop for the occasional filter ring or something that I need in a hurry but..

I was in there last night to pick up a 55-62mm step ring so I can use my FZ20 filters (R72, Nikon 6t, etc) with the FZ1v2.. At the counter was a woman buying a Nikon D70, a fine camera by all accounts. When the salesman was asking her about her existing memory cards she hadn't a clue of what kind she had. Maybe she thought there was only one kind. From the conversation though, it seemed her Fuji S2 was out for repairs so she obviously spends some $$$ on cameras. Perhaps for her husband.. It just struck me as rather strange.. I got the feeling she was in there to pay for the 5 magic letters N-I-K-O-N.. All the good for the store.. Right?? There isn't really a point to this, just rambling.. wasting bandwidth..

Enjoy that $99 camera.. I'll enjoy my $160 one..

Jeff
:|
Old May 6, 2005, 3:05 PM   #6

OK, can I joint too?

I just received my FZ1 from Ritzauctions as well. I specifically picked it up for the IR capabilities and already havea Hoya R72 that I tried with my FZ3. The cam showed up with everything it was meant to have in the box and in great shape. Mine had certainly been used a bit in the store and even came with a couple pics still on the SD card. I wanted an external flash and "L" bracket for the FZ3 but I thought I should pick this up instead as they may not be around too much longer. I guess I'll have to save some more for the flash unit:sad:

After just two pictures to be sure it works I upgraded to FZ1v2 and slapped the IR filter on to snap some shots at lunch. There really wasn't anything worth shooting but I wanted to compare it to how the FZ3 worked with the IR filter. WOW! Big improvement which makes me very happy I picked this one up. Now I just need to read up on some of the tips posted here already for IR shots and get out to take some.

As an initialcomparison to the FZ3 the FZ1 feels better. It is a bit heavier and "seems" like a more substantial item. I really like the rotating lens hood as the FZ3 hood must be removed and repositioned which now seems like a PITA. The FZ1 however is slower focusing it seems, which isn't a real issue considering that I really only wanted it for IR shots where the focus time isn't that important I would think. Since I've only taken a quick handful of shots over lunch that's all the comparison I have right now.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 9:31 PM   #7

Hey welcome to the FZ1v2 club! I'm sure you will enjoy this camera just as I have done so far. I also placed my order on uniquephoto and got cancelled. To me, I think that they did that in purpose to gain advertising which indeed happened in this forum. Well anyway, just as somebody else said: enjoy your $99 black fz1v2 as I will enjoy my $200 silver FZ1v2
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 4:07 AM   #8

Camera manufacturers have improved autofocus since the FZ-1 came out. It is sluggish indoors in low-light. However, I find that using spot mode really helps. In fact, I leave it on spot all the time. I just keep it on spot, and aim at the most contrasy vertical line in the frame. With practice, this becomes second nature.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 4:16 AM   #9

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Camera manufacturers have improved autofocus since the FZ-1 came out. It is sluggish indoors in low-light. However, I find that using spot mode really helps. In fact, I leave it on spot all the time. I just keep it on spot, and aim at the most contrasy vertical line in the frame. With practice, this becomes second nature.
I've noticed that but it still isn't too bad.. I've also left the C-AF on as well..

:G