Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 6, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

well as the title says today is my prom. i am paying for a professional photographer for pics at the prom itself but before i get there i want my mom to take some pics of me and then with my girlfriend, and i wanted to know what are the best settings to use in the picture adjustment part when shooting in TIFF mode?

thanks
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 2:56 PM   #2

Use the same settings you use in jpeg.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 2:59 PM   #3

you sure about that? cause most editing programs recommend low-sharening and such when using RAW files...of course i'm talking about dSLR's here but still, doesnt that apply to the FZ20 as well?:?
Old May 6, 2005, 3:04 PM   #4

Tiff is not like RAW. The camera does processing in TIFF. In RAW the camera does nothing to the captured data. Be safe and set all parameters to lowest vaue and post process. WB needs be set in TIFF so I would use a manual setting using a white/grey card.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:08 PM   #5

well that's what I thought. in JPG i have the settings to standard, and i ALWAYS use auto white balance cause i dont trust the AWB...so in my camera bag is a white plastic card:G

i thought about putting it all to LOW, which i did before asking here but i wanted to make sure. i hope i can get at least a decent 8x10 with my girlfriend. it's been hard making 8x10's out the camera, always have had to edit, shrink, fix, and THEN interpolate up to size and print
Old May 6, 2005, 3:17 PM   #6

To be honest I'm not sure of the point of TIFF, when I tried it I didn't see much difference, other than the huge file size. But I suppose it can't hurt important. But I'm not sure RAW is the same as TIFF. I think TIFF is just basically an uncompressed jpg. RAW files saves all the camera information and you can use special software, such as Photoshop CS's raw utility, it allows you to apply the types of settings your camera would normally do, which is probably why they say not to use sharpening etc. But the RAW image processing doesn't work with TIFF as it doesn't saves all the information needed in the image. RAW is like a digital negative, TIFF is more like a very well developed photo, but it's still just a photo like a jpg.

Well I'm pretty sure that's right, but correct me if I'm wrong!
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:21 PM   #7

Well the best thing to do is take multiple shots in various modes, there's no charge so take as many as you like! Try the preconfigured protrait modes, the manual modes, and any other modes you think of! That's the great thing about digital photography!

It's not as it's one of those pictures where you have to get it right first time, I'm sure your girlfriend won't mind if you need to take her photo a couple of times to be sure!

BTW enjoy your prom!
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:27 PM   #8

I see no point in shooting Tiff but thats just me.

To resize a photo for a 8 X10 I change the resolution to 240 ppi.... that makes the small width 8 inches and the long edge 10.67 inches, Just cut 3/4 of an inch off the long side.

If you want more ppi you can then interpolate it back up to 300 but quite honestly 240 is plenty.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote