Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 6, 2005, 3:13 PM   #1

well i'm kind of unsure about how the 6t works and such, so I'm going to post what i think i've been told in the threads i read and if you'd be so kind to correct me, i'd be grateful

1) i always have to be 12" or farther from my subject to focus

2) at minimum distance(12"?) i can use 12x zoom and be able to focus

3) i can stay 2 feet away and still get a close up macro(12x after all!)

4) if i can get close enough(lets say 12") i will be able to get a picture of a bee big enough for an 8x10 or something by the likes(like i did with my dog but in macro)

5) i can shoot in P or M mode and still get as close as in Macro mode with the 6T

6) it should be fairly easy to use the 6T as its just an addon lens

7) throw here anything else i might need to know

thanks guys. school is ending june 3 and i work the afternoons so i'm most likely going to have a lot of free mornings to take pictures and i'm hoping ot have some fun with the 6T:|
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

You'll probably find your questions would be better answered in the Nikon forum. There's not going to be much Panasonic owners could tell you about the 6t!

Maybe you should repost it there...
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:50 PM   #3

Hi,
I have the the Nikon 4T (55mm) and I love it. There several folks on this forum that own these lenses. Put the camera on aperter priority and set it for f8. This will give you the best depth of field. I prefer to use the LCD when using this lens. Simply hold the camera a few inches away from the subject and focus.Move the camera closer or futher away or adjust the zoom until you get a focus lock. Take LOTS of shots:!: It will take some practice.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 4:09 PM   #4

apnomis wrote:
Quote:
You'll probably find your questions would be better answered in the Nikon forum. There's not going to be much Panasonic owners could tell you about the 6t!

i disagree on that aspect, simply because a majority of people here doing macro do it with Nikon #t lens:idea:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks austin
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 4:27 PM   #5

apnomis wrote:
Quote:

What? Haven't you read some of the posts here.:?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6

I'd say this is the Perfect forum to ask about the Panasonics ganged with the Nikon 6t, as well as with the Olympus and other lenses..

Max-Pain, I don't know which camera you are using, I'm assuming FZ20.. I find it easiest to use manual focus, about a foot away, zoom to fill the frame. Half press the shutter release and then move the camera slightly in or out to fine tune the focus. Sometimes a shot of the one time AF helps bring it into focus.. Something else I discovered though while taking the bee shot I posted in the Macro Kings thread, With the shutter at half press, the manual focus ring will also fine tune the image..

I'll give you the same advice I was given.. Put a shiney coin under good light and practice on that.. Digital film is cheap..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 6:01 PM   #7

The 6T is a great lens......but it DOES take a bit of practice. The 12" mark is about right for 12x but you'll only be able to get a focus lock with in a few inches of that mark. At 12x a goodtripod is a must almost all the time. I shoot more macro than anything, and have been for 5 or 6 years now. I have to say at 12x its going to be frustrating at first. A macro rail also makes a huge difference. It allows you to make small adjustments left to right for framing (small movements become huge movements at 12x) as well as forward and backward which aids with fine focus (you get very little DOF) An external flash helps out too. I have found the best results are achieved at 2-3x putting the lens closer to the subject. This is not possible all the time such as shooting insects and such. Velbon makes a nice macro rail or "slider" for about $100. Check B&H photo. Manfroto also makes them, but you have to buy 2 and put them together to get side to side and forward and back.

[align=center]:|JaSoN S.:|[/align]
Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 8:15 PM   #8

One thing I found very useful while using my FZ10+6T, besides all the usual things (manual focus, moving camera back and forth, etc), is an external flash. It makes a big difference when shooting indoors (which I do more than i though I would for macro)

While a tripod is useful (and I have used it), don't expect any living insect to wait around for you to set up your tripod.

Anyway, expect a narrow depth of field (always try for as close to F8 as the light will allow), so remember to take a bunch of pictures (burst mode is great for that). And the LCD doesn't have enough detail to truely judge how a picture turned out...
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 9:50 PM   #9

Quote:
1) i always have to be 12" or farther from my subject to focus
12" but not farther. At lower zooms the effect of the macro lens on the distance is less so that you can move nearer or farther.

Quote:
2) at minimum distance(12"?) i can use 12x zoom and be able to focus
Yes.

Quote:
3) i can stay 2 feet away and still get a close up macro(12x after all!)
No. 12" only.

Quote:
4) if i can get close enough(lets say 12") i will be able to get a picture of a bee big enough for an 8x10 or something by the likes(like i did with my dog but in macro)
Yes.

Quote:
5) i can shoot in P or M mode and still get as close as in Macro mode with the 6T
All PASM. A prioity is good to set f8 for greatest dof.

Quote:
6) it should be fairly easy to use the 6T as its just an addon lens
Should be.

Quote:
7) throw here anything else i might need to know
Lots of sunshine and little wind. After you get used to the focus distance, experiment with the onboard flash. Set A to f8; ev-2. The shutter half press will cause the evf/lcd to go dark (I love this feature!) but if you're at the right distance you'll be okay. Takes some finesse.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:54 AM   #10

Austintatious wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
I have the the Nikon 4T (55mm) and I love it.
Doesn't the 4T have 52mm threads? I wasn't aware that they made one with 55mm threads. Where did you find it?

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote