Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 8, 2005, 1:18 AM   #1

finally managed tocatch one of these little fellas sitting still for a moment... i know the sky is blown, but from where i was, there wasn't much to do about it... 12x zoom, f2.8 @ 1/60, ISO 100...
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 1:48 AM   #2

The sky may be blown but, you captured the bird very nicely.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 7:06 AM   #3

subject is well focused, nice shot reguardless , very elusive bird so its all good :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 8:58 AM   #4

He's beautiful! That's such a wonderful close up of him. How close were you when you took this 12x picture? Was the original picture cropped? I have sat for hours taking pictures of birds at 12x.I love seeing them. It reminds me of my birdwatching days when I was much younger. Right now we have a Hawk's nestabout 100 feet upin a tree in our back yard....and oh how I wish I could get some good pictures. ...but it is very hard at that height. and composition is next to impossible.. any suggestions?? Again Squirl, thanks for sharing. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:57 PM   #5

i was about 15 feet away from the branch he landed on. the pic i posted was cropped about 30% (swallows are small!), and resized for posting. i also bumped up thecontrast and saturation justa touch to bring out the colors, because thelight was fading andthe bird was a little underexposed. i'd have shot him with different exposure settings, but swallows don't stay still long enough to alllow for fiddling with cameras!!

100 feet is a long way, even for a 12x zoom, if your subject is the size of a hawk - even a big one. a tripod definitely helps, if you have time (i was using a monopod when i took this swallow pic; by the time i'd have gotten a tripod set up and the camera ready, he'd have been gone...), and you can crop the 5MP image from an FZ20 pretty heavily and still have enough left for a sharp print, which will make your hawk image larger, but it's still tough to get good shots from that distance. especially when shooting at a sharp "up" angle...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 6:26 PM   #6

Let the sky be blown. You got your shot.:blah:
wise is offline   Reply With Quote