Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 8, 2005, 6:53 PM   #1

I was at a local park when I decided to shoot the clouds.

These following prints have onloy been resized for posting - no other post processing. I wanted to play with my Hoya linear polarizer.

Clouds #1 Maximum polarizing effect
1/1000 sec ASA 200 f5.6
Attached Images

pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 6:53 PM   #2

Clouds #2 Minimum polarizing effect
1/800 sec ASA 200 f5.6
Attached Images

Old May 8, 2005, 9:03 PM   #3

wow what a diference in contrast , were you using a hood as well ?

Nice work .Also im moving back to the bigger lens andfilters on the FZ20 , i originaly went with the raynox adapter and filters , but i can tell that it cripples the camera myself . I can also see that ill be spending more money :G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 10:18 PM   #4

...just wanted to find out what you meant by "crippled" the camera? i'm using raynox gear and im pretty concerned. thanks!
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:32 AM   #5

just my preference , i dont like shrinking the field of view . Using the raynox wont hurt the camera at all .
Old May 9, 2005, 9:36 AM   #6

I was not using a hood, I have a Phayee adapter with a 62mm filter size.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:29 AM   #7

The actual diameter of the lens is a lot smaller than 52mm and therefore i don't think you will be hurt by havinga 52mm lens in front of the camera lens. Also from tests conducted I think I remember reading that the raynox adaptor puts the other lens closer to the camera lens, more so than any other adaptor. This is good as well. I personally prefer the raynox

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 1:24 PM   #8

Quote:
was not using a hood, I have a Phayee adapter with a 62mm filter size.
cool i have the phayee set coming
Old May 9, 2005, 7:35 PM   #9

pschooley;
I have been playing around with a cheapie polarized filter myself,(it's pretty impressivein desert shots) but I am confused about your comparison. You shot the max polarized one with a shorter (1/1000) exposure than the
minimum polarized one. I would think that would affect the picture and throw off the one variable you want-with or without polarization. Plus, if you did change shutter speed settings, I would expect that the polarized lens would get the longer exposure, since it should be letting in less light.

I'm probably missing the point here, and I like the picture; do you have the same shot under identical settings except for polarizer?
I'm new at this, so I'm trying to get all some of these fun variables (like filters) organized as to how best to use them.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 8:02 PM   #10

I had my camera in P mode, after I got home I realized I should have gone full manual. I cannot explain what the camera chose to change shutter speed as it did when I adjusted the polarizer - that was not my deliberate setting and I was surprised when I read the EXIF. The shots were taken only 6 seconds apart. I would guess that the processor made the adjustment due to the difference in light entering the camera (thanks to the filter).

In past experimentation with this filter I have used manual to force my exposure settings to stay the same, I was at a BBQ and had a couple of beers in me so I wasn't thinking too analytically when I snapped the pics.

BTW I like the sky color in #1 more and the cloud lighting better in #2 go figure?