Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 10, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1

I'm really deciding on purchasing this camera. I tried the FZ20 today,and brought home some pics. I was disappointed in seeing blown highlights. I tried everything, but I couldn't get rid of the blown highlights, without making the exposure too dark.

In some outdoor pictures, I see a little purple fringing, but it is very little. Color reproduction is noticeably better on the FZ20, compared to my Kodak DX7440. My Kodak looks warm in comparison.

FZ20 - Progam(Auto) mode, with flash, 1/60s.

Attached Images

wile_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 10:40 PM   #2

There is only so much you can do if the outside lighting is a lot brighter than the inside. All cameras would struggle with that picture (DSLRs usually have do better with the dynamic range).

And purple fringing can be greatly reduced with having a higher aperture number.

Anyway, the FZ20 is a great camera, and don't cross if off your list because of one type of shooting condition
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 11:22 PM   #3

looking at that pic, i have to agree with blinblue - very difficult lighting for any camera, no matter what kind. in order to properly exose the dimly lit interior of the store, the camera has to overexpose - blow out - the brighter portions outside. if you meter on the outside light, the inside of the building will be too dark. there's no win-win outcome in that sort of lighting situation... the camera cannot meter on both at once, andyou just have to choose which is more important, and meter/focus on that.

i think you'll find the fz20 to be a very capable camera, and that in any reasonable light condition, it will produce very good images. if you expect it - or ANY camera, for that matter - to balance out extremes of light and shadow, and produce proper exposures for both simultaneously, you're going to be disappointed.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:53 AM   #4

wile_e wrote:
Quote:
I'm really deciding on purchasing this camera. I tried the FZ20 today,and brought home some pics. I was disappointed in seeing blown highlights. I tried everything, but I couldn't get rid of the blown highlights, without making the exposure too dark.

In some outdoor pictures, I see a little purple fringing, but it is very little. Color reproduction is noticeably better on the FZ20, compared to my Kodak DX7440. My Kodak looks warm in comparison.

FZ20 - Progam(Auto) mode, with flash, 1/60s.

If you have imagination, something can always be done to improve pictures.

Before:

After:

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:45 AM   #5

Still has blown highlights Lovey.:?
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:53 AM   #6

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
Still has blown highlights Lovey.:?

I said improve not perfect, just having some fun.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:23 PM   #7

A larger external flash would help. What you're faced with here is getting the inside light level up that of the outside and therefore bringining down the dynamic range of the overall picture.

The alernative is to use a tripod and take two exposures one for outside, one for inside and combine them in your favorite photo editing software. A simple way to expand your dynamic range.
kbwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote