Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 11, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1

I'm going to get a macro lens for my FZ3 soon, and I see a lot of shots with both of these lenses on here. Is there any particular benefit/fallback for either? Also, where can I find them to buy other than online?
jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 1:33 PM   #2

Jrh.....I have been using the 6t (Nikon) for a while now and love it...I have posted lots of macro's using the 6t..And you should be able to pick up a 6t at your local camera shop...:G

here is a excample...
Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:18 PM   #3

I have a 4T the 52mm version of the 6T with a diopter of 2.9. I think it is a nice piece of glass. It can function in two capacities because it has a working distance of 12 inches. You can control the amount of magnification by the amount of zoom. The DCR250 is a supper macro with a diopter of eight. It can only function close and has a working distance of 2.5". Many people find it difficult to use, it also has sharpness drop off toward the edges which need cropping.

Close

Closer

Closest

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:00 PM   #4

The primary reasonfor getting a macro lens for the fz series is to givethe cameramacro capabilty throughout the zoom from a set working or focus distance. The focus distance is determined by the diopter power of the lens.

[align=center]F=1/d[/align]

[align=left]where F is the focus distance in meters and d is the diopter power.[/align]

[align=left]The 6t is a 3 diopterlens. Therefore,it's focus distance is 1/3 of a meter or about 13 inches. The dcr250 is an 8 diopter lens and has a working distance of 1/8 of a meter or about 5 inches. These focus distances are at full zoom (12x in the case of the fz's). There is a little bit of lee way but not much at all at full zoom.The subject andmacro lens front optichave to be seperated at very close to the focus distanceof the lens. As you decrease the zoom that range of focus increases somewhat but not a whole lot. Maybe an inch down to 4x. At full wide the range is considerable but of little use. The more powerful the lens, the tighter the range. The dcr250 has a very small range; essentially none. That makes it a more difficult lens to use. That wiggle room is basically the depth of field. The dcr250 has an extremely shallow dof; 1-2mm. The 6t has a dof at full zoom of maybe 5mm. Not a whole lot either but easier to work with.[/align]

[align=left]The focus distance is also an issue when using the onboard flash. Being only 5" from the subject, the dcr250 is much more likely to cast a shadow from the flash than is the 6t at 13" away.[/align]

[align=left]Btw, the nikon 4t is the same lens as the 6t with a 52mm thread rather than 62mm for the 6t. The 4t is about $20 less. That's what I would get, along with a 55-52mm step down ring for the fz3 adapter. Both available from bhphotovideo.com for a combined total of about $50 shipped.[/align]

[align=left]BtwII, I have the dcr250 and it is an excellent lens. But for starters, the 4t is the more versatile lens.[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 7:30 AM   #5

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
The DCR250 is a supper macro with a diopter of eight. It can only function close and has a working distance of 2.5". Many people find it difficult to use, it also has sharpness drop off toward the edges which need cropping.
WithF8.0 there is no sharpness drop off toward the edges.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:10 PM   #6

jrh312,

I have both the DCR-150 and the DCR-250. The 150 is a +4 and I find it easier to use then the 250 +8. I'm glad I have them both, but as a new comer to the macro photography field, I find I have a lot of learning to do. I don't think you would be unhappy with any of the macro lenses talked about and recommendedby people here. By the way I also have the FZ3 and find the Raynox macro lens to be a good match.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 4:20 PM   #7

Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
The DCR250 is a supper macro with a diopter of eight. It can only function close and has a working distance of 2.5". Many people find it difficult to use, it also has sharpness drop off toward the edges which need cropping.
WithF8.0 there is no sharpness drop off toward the edges.
Yes, but F8 forces creates a need for good lighting and or higher ISOs with maybe undesirable results. There are no perfect cameras lenses or worlds.
Old May 12, 2005, 4:35 PM   #8

You know this is very strange we are discussing and recommending a macro approach to a person who has not responded since the initial question, on 4/30/05.

BTW, this is not a better best situation each lens has a purpose. The Nikon T series cannot produce the magnification; the DCR's cannot match the working distance, and flexible magnification levels. I think for someone starting out the Nikon Ts is a better choice. Well if they are not starting out, buy them all. This is the only photographic item that I still use since I purchased it about twenty-five years ago.

The Raynox lines of lenses for the most part are good. My favorites are the DCR1540, DCR6600 and the DCR150. I am meeting with Mr. Raynox next Tuesday I will tell him how much he likes the product.
Old May 12, 2005, 4:54 PM   #9

Say Hi to Ray for me and make sure to tell him how much he likes the product:O
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 4:57 PM   #10

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
You know this is very strange we are discussing and recommending a macro approach to a person who has not responded since the initial question, on 4/30/05.
Well, I for one find the topic fascinating and I'm very impressed with the knowledge that is shared in this forum. I recently purchased an fz-5, so in addition to deciding on macro and tele lenses,I've got tofigure how to best attach them so they are close enough to the camera lens to be effective... I'm looking forward to the challenge
habanero5869 is offline   Reply With Quote