Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 11, 2005, 4:45 PM   #1

Can't seem to find my manual. I purchased a 1 gig SD card for my camera but didn't realize till I got home that it is a "multimedia card". I know the regular SD cards can be used for movies using the camera, but can the multimedia card be used for images ? I don't want to open the package until I'm sure as I have no interest in using the camera as a camcorder (though I may see if it will work in my camcorder !)

TIA

(edit) OK, I did a search in this forum and see that the MMC cards are just slower. BUT, since the MMC I bought is rated at 40X (8 MB/s) and I'm currently using only a 4X SD card, I'm thinking I'll be AT LEAST as good with the MMC as with my old card ? I guess I'll do some more searching later to see how the ratings actually compare. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my search came up with only about 8 hits, none of which actually compared the actual speeds of each.

Charlie

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 1:09 AM   #2

Well, I did searches, including google and still couldn't come up with much more than 'SD is faster than MMC', so I went ahead and put the Cosair 40X MMC in my FZ-10. If anything it 'clicked' off a few successive shots as fast or faster than the 256 Sandisk card I was using (older card, don't know its transfer rating.) So I guess I'm ok.

BTW, I got the 1 gig card for $49 (after rebate) from Frye's Electronics.

Old May 12, 2005, 7:52 AM   #3

Good info,have you tried the movie mode at the camera's highest settings?
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4

As far as what I have read the MMC card is discontinued and was replaced by the newer faster SD cards. They are physically the same size and have the same electrical contacts so they will word ok but you may notice a longer than usual lag when you do some functions like a burst shot.

Jeff
AevnsGrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 2:32 PM   #5

AevnsGrandpa1 wrote:
Quote:
As far as what I have read the MMC card is discontinued and was replaced by the newer faster SD cards. They are physically the same size and have the same electrical contacts so they will word ok but you may notice a longer than usual lag when you do some functions like a burst shot.

Jeff

Didn't realize they were being discontinued, but I suspect their sales are negligible at best. I think they are very slightly thinner. I only bought one because I didn'[t realize it was MMC instead of a standard SD. I saw 40X, 1 gig memory at $50 and thought 'wow !' It does work fine for my needs though. If discontinued maybe they'll be giving them away soon

:-)
Old May 19, 2005, 9:00 AM   #6

AevnsGrandpa1 wrote:
Quote:

Jeff
For a while there didn't seem to be much development on MMC cards but now they've taken off again so I don't think they are being discontinued after all.

Did you know that SD is just like MMC but with embedded Digital Rights Management? Yet another attempt to slip DRM past us methinks. Which is probably why it's received such a push from the manufacturers.

Some background info here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/sto...889302,00.html
altis is offline   Reply With Quote