Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2005, 6:58 AM   #1

Hi all,

I have been a little busy of late (a PhD can be like that at times) so I haven't been posting much, but enough of that.

I bought the Raynox srw-6600 WA lens a few weeks ago and have just managed to have a bit of a play with it. For those who dont know much about the lens it is a 0.66x multiplier that taken the FZ10 lens to 24mm equiv. Most people tend to buy the dcr-6600 that has a 52mm rear thread, I thought that this may cause some darkening in the corners so I opted for the SRW-6600 with the 58mm rear thread. The raynox web site states that the optics is the same on the two.

So the verdict? Well to be honest the images are a little soft and even when using the sweet spot of the FZ lens (Mid f stops) and all the images need to have an USM (unsharp mask) done to improve sharpness. Saying this though the images look good once the USM is done. It does give a massive increase in viewable angle and this does make a real difference. The photos taken below were done at ~f5.6 as that appears to give the sharpest photos and all has USM done.

In terms of attaching it to the FZ I have the Phayee adaptor (62mm) and a 62-58mm step ring. With the step ring there is slight corner darkening but if the lens is held directly on the FZ lens no darkening is observed. At some point I will look at getting a 58mm adaptor but until then the step ring will do. The other drawback is that you loose the zoom ability as significant distortion occurs. Of course this wont worry anyone other than Nick!

The first photo indicates the FZ at 1x zoom (36mm) with no WA lens. The last three were all taken with the Raynox srw-6600.

Treemonkey
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 6:59 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 12, 2005, 6:59 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old May 12, 2005, 7:00 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old May 12, 2005, 11:23 AM   #5

Treemonkey I have the dcr 6600 and as you say there are some drawbacks but the overall result is well worth the means. It seems cabable of sharp images at full wide angle though and I like the additional perspective given. All in all I`m happy with it especially for the dollar value invested.

I have found that there are times that zooming in with it creates interesting soft edges and can actually be used to draw the eye to the central subject. Cheers. Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:28 AM   #6

If someone will tell me how to post photos here I will give an example or two of using soft edges in pics to advantage. Cheers. Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:37 AM   #7

Here's how to post pics:arrow:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...634&forum_id=2
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:57 PM   #8

The 6600 is the widest of the wide. There's that and the WCON 07, which has 55mm threads. The DCR720 brings you to 28mm.

The reason I like the zoom-through capabilities (and Raynox advertises this on their site, I've noticed) is it's great for family and "event" shooting, indoors. 28mm focal length - though not "super wide" gives you a sufficient angle of view to get "everyone at the table" group shot without uncomfortable scrunching, yet I have plenty of zoom capability to get a zoom shot of the bride and her father dancing.

The 6600, however, gives you a "real" wide angle focal length by any standards. Great teleconverter - it's a "must have" if you don't mind a little post work to get rid of the minor vignetting.

The 6600 (and maybe the WCON 07) is the only WA converter lens that's wide enough to give you that exaggerated perspective and dramatic effect evident in Tree's shots posted here.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 6:39 PM   #9

I see your point Nick and I must admit it may become a bit of a hassle changing the lens all the time. But then again all the D-SLR people have the same issue so maybe I should get use to it.

Treemonkey