Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2005, 4:47 PM   #1

Hi all, apart from the raynox dcr 2020, does anybody know of any other teleconverter that will fit and work with the FZ20?

I want to take wildlife pics, and I know the 12x zoom is fabulous but theres always that odd occiasion....

Any help/comments info very much appreciated.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

ukwoody wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, apart from the raynox dcr 2020, does anybody know of any other teleconverter that will fit and work with the FZ20?

I want to take wildlife pics, and I know the 12x zoom is fabulous but theres always that odd occiasion....

Any help/comments info very much appreciated.

Woody
After much research I ordered a TCON 14B. It's 1.45X not as powerful as the 2X of the Raynox 2020, but it's IMO superior to the Raynox and the closest thing to the Pana tele-converter in image quality for 1/3 the price, about $150.00

If you want to compare tele-converteres here is a really good site:

http://nighthead.adzoo.jp/fz/telecon/telecon1.htm

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:28 PM   #3

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
After much research I ordered a TCON 14B. It's 1.45X not as powerful as the 2X of the Raynox 2020, but it's IMO superior to the Raynox and the closest thing to the Pana tele-converter in image quality for 1/3 the price, about $150.00

If you want to compare tele-converteres here is a really good site:

http://nighthead.adzoo.jp/fz/telecon/telecon1.htm

Or watch and wait on e-bay. I got my 14B a couple weeks ago for $91 plus $10 shipping. Perfect condition. Was hard to be patient though as I'd been 'prowling' the site for about a month. I've not used it much yet, but it holds well into the Phayee adapter, I think.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 1:04 AM   #4

Raynox has another one called 1.54 Pro which I like a lot better than the 2020. I have both. I took these pics with the 1.54 Pro-

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:01 AM   #5

BMullen, Why do you prefer the 1540 over the 2020?

I also have a phayee adaptorI got it free with the camera off Ebay, but dont quite understand how you connect a teleconverter into/onto it (I got no instructions!)

I also note somebody said the thread on the 1540 is 52mm, if that si correct that is much smaller than the phayee will take isn't it?

Note to anybody who clicks on the link above. It's in Japanese, but if you translate it (thru google or right click on it), it does make reasonable senseit

cheers Woody

ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 4:39 AM   #6

There are MANY. See the Converter Lenses section of my FZ-10 user guide. Note that the FZ-10 and FZ-20 use the same set of converter lenses and adapters.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 12:04 PM   #7

ukwoody, the 1540 has more resolution and less purple fringing. I use the raynox adapter which works very well.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 12:48 PM   #8

ukwoody wrote:
Quote:
BMullen, Why do you prefer the 1540 over the 2020?

I also have a phayee adaptorI got it free with the camera off Ebay, but dont quite understand how you connect a teleconverter into/onto it (I got no instructions!)

I also note somebody said the thread on the 1540 is 52mm, if that si correct that is much smaller than the phayee will take isn't it?

Note to anybody who clicks on the link above. It's in Japanese, but if you translate it (thru google or right click on it), it does make reasonable senseit

cheers Woody

The phayee adapter has 62MM threads, the The Raynox 2020 and TCON 14B have 62mm threads,they screws directly onto it. If you go for the 1540 you will need a stepdown ring to bring it down to 52mm.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 4:53 PM   #9

After looking at all of the evaluation articles and photos, I decided on the TCON17, and use it on my FZs without any adapter except the PD55 barrel on the FZ20, and a Yoshida on the fZ1. These barrels put the tele lens at the closest to the camera lens position possible, which is ideal. Also best when using filters. The TCON17 is a 1.7X converter with a good resolution, and can be found on ebay for less than $100 sometimes. :-)

Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 3:24 PM   #10

why dont you check the e-bay shops. i recently bought some filters from "saini digital photo" , a e-bay shop. Very prompt and the quality is good and price nearly 50% of regular shop. they also stock some tele-converters.
pachu is offline   Reply With Quote