Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2005, 10:29 PM   #1

well today i received my Nikon 6T by UPS and i have to say it looks nice and very simple for what it lets you do! nice piece of glass, problem now is how do i carry it? the square thing it came on is too big for my camera bag and i dont want to just have the lens on the pocket by itself cause it'll scratch.

can i put the phayee on, put the 6t and then the 72mm portion of the phayee on top, and leave it like that inside the bag with the cap on? that should keep it safe shouldnt it? and then when i'm not taking pictures i'll put it on its plastic bag momentarily, and stick it back in the phayee before putting the camera away. will that work?

also while i'm at it, does the petal hood that comes with the camera fit the 72mm part of the phayee?:?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 12:07 AM   #2

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
can i put the phayee on, put the 6t and then the 72mm portion of the phayee on top, and leave it like that inside the bag with the cap on? that should keep it safe shouldnt it? and then when i'm not taking pictures i'll put it on its plastic bag momentarily, and stick it back in the phayee before putting the camera away. will that work?
yes. the 6T will thread onto the end of the Phayee adapter, and you can screw on the "outer" portion of the adapter to enclose the 6T. a lens cap will complete the deal. you could also try to find one of those round cases that special effects filters come in, if you can get one tall enough to fit the 6T in it. i made my own case from a small plastic box, still square but much more compact than the one the lens came in. then i made a foam cutout to keep the lens from rattling around in it. doesn't exactly fit my pocket, but it does slip nicely into a pocket in my camera bag, which is more than i could do with the original...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:13 AM   #3

They sell colored ellectrical tape at Home Depot that comes in a small plastic cylinder container.

Measures 3 1/2 " diameter x 1 " deep , they may have smaller ones .

I useone for my Raynox DCR250 , works perfect
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 7:49 AM   #4

pappy wrote:
Quote:
They sell colored ellectrical tape at Home Depot that comes in a small plastic cylinder container.

I useone for my Raynox DCR250 , works perfect
Thanks, pappy. Will definitely have to check this out. I'm in the need of some tape anyway.
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 7:55 PM   #5

I bought a set of 62mm stack caps from an eBay vendor to go with my 6T - like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

When I am going on an outing I screw the caps on the 6T (and also my polarizer). THe lens & filter are well protected this way. I just pop the stack in my pocket along with a spare battery and off I go ready for macro to 12X. For more serious outings I carry my Lowe + tele & wide angle lenses.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 8:27 PM   #6

pappy wrote:
Quote:
that'd be perfect! i think i'll go get me one of those... a couple of thin foam pads top& bottomto prevent rattles, and i'll be all set!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 10:41 AM   #7

well phayee is here. tried to take some pics out but it started drizzling, will go back out once it stops.

quick question, am i supposed to focus manually or should the AF work? i found in the little time i had before it started raining that i had to keep moving back for it to be able to focus, and i dont see how i'm going to get such a close macro that way:?
Old May 14, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8

Max, the way I do it is: put the camera in A priority, set to F8, auto focus, go back to 3x zoom or until you can see your subject, then zoom in, goto manual focus, hit focus assist to get it close to focus, fine tune in manual focus with focus ring, and then swayback and forth slightly until you're sharp. Because of the magnification, even slight variations in distance can throw the focusone way or the other. I also put the camera in burst mode. If you want to use the onboard flash, you'll have to experiment. I've had decent results with cranking it down all the way. I do recall that you have an external flash as well, so you may want to try bouncing it. I don't have an experience in that area yet.

It's still kind of dreary looking out there. You way want to wait for some sun.

If someone has a better way, please post. Always looking for alternate methods.

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 12:42 PM   #9

i wasnt able to get the external flash that day, so i ordered it from B&H Photo and i should have it before wednesday. the problem i'm finding is that what i was shooting was really low, so i was laying on the floor outside and i still didnt get a good view of the lcd, let alone the EVF. so i couldnt judge how it was coming out exactly. i took a halfway decent shot of a bee in a flower, but i missed a fight between two bees!

i'll post the pictures, they're not focused but you can see whatawesome pictures they would have been

EDIT: here are the pictures

Old May 14, 2005, 5:18 PM   #10

Max, i have to say that looking at your second picture it looks rather like the first wasp is trying to hump the second!:O

woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote