Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 13, 2005, 10:49 PM   #1

So I went to take pictures of a waterfall near my apartment to test out different shutter speeds. They came out badly, but I did find some wildflowers to photograph. I was surprised at how clearly they came out. Comments and criticism always appreciated.
Attached Images

jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 10:50 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 13, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old May 13, 2005, 10:51 PM   #4

#4 and final

I understand that I can adjust the DOF by switching to aperture priority mode...is that correct? If so, would changing the aperture for this photo help get the lower petals in focus too?

These were all taken with the FZ3 and are straight from the camera except for some cropping.
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5

one thing that would definitely help is resizing these to fit on the screen without scrolling...

aperture mode will allow you to better control DOF, but if the light's not good (and it didn't look very bright for these pics...), trying to stop down the lens to increase DOF will just underexpose the images...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 9:05 AM   #6

yeah the lighting was a problem I was having with the waterfall shots actually. Everything I've read about photographing waterfalls said that low light is usually the problem, but with decreased shutter speeds they kept coming out too bright. By the time I had the shutter open long enough to get the water blended right in the falls, it was so washed out that you could barely tell what you were looking at anyway. Like I said, I'm still learning
Old May 14, 2005, 11:20 AM   #7

that's where having a histogram helps... you can sorta judge, by where the graph falls, whether the image will be too bright or too dark. some exposure compensation can help... if you're shooting a bright subject, using some -EV will help tone down the brightness, and help the background come out. try exposure bracketing... set the EV for, say, +/- 2/3EV, and try your waterfall. the camera will take 3 frames, one at each setting (-2/3, "0", and +2/3), and you can choose the one that comes out best. that will also help you learn to judge when, and how much, EV to apply for a given scene.

lighting is everything, and the FZ'z like plenty of it. don't be discouraged if your initial results don't match your expectations... try again on a brighter day, you'll be amazed at the difference.

your flower pics are very nice, by the way...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote