Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 14, 2005, 8:25 PM   #1

I've had my FZ 20 for a few weeks now. To prepare for a trip to the amusement park today, I wanted to empty my 2) 256 MB Cards. With the camera connected to my pc with the usb cable, I used Windows Explore which viewed the camera as a D drive. I selected the pictures from the camera and copied them to a hard drive folder. Then I selected the pictures in the camera and deleted them. Now the camera shows the card as having no stored images, but there is very little available memory. I was only able to put 40 new pictures on one card and 8 on the other.

As you can probably tell, I'm very new to digital photography and could use some advise. Any ideas why the cards are like this? Can they be reformatted, wiped clean? What should I do differently?

Any advise would be appreciated.
RobPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2005, 11:20 PM   #2

If you can see the card as a drive in Windows Explorer, you will see that it has 2 directories, DCIM and MISC. Right click on each and then left click on Delete, and *poof* the card will be as clean as the day it was born.

The camera will reformat the card as soon as you turn it back on with the card installed.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:06 AM   #3

It seems to be better to delete images with the camera. I usally just format the card in the camera after each image download. 2cents
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:22 AM   #4

I deleted the folders on both cards. The camera still recognized them as having little room for pictures. When I rechecked them in Explore, they showed 2 empty folders, but the properties for the drive showed most of the capacity as being used, with little free space.

With one card I right clicked the drive and tried to format from Explore. This was unsuccessful and showed a bunch of folders with hyrogliphics for names, which I could not delete. I think the message said files were moved or couldn't be found or something. After repeated attempts to fix errors with scandisk, I gave up. Messages kept saying the disk was bad. However, when I tried to use it in the camera, it appears to be empty with capacity for about 100 pictures. I'm not sure I trust it because of all the error messages it showed.

The other card still shows 2 empty folders but only about 90 MB of free space (160 MB of used space). How can that be? With all the problems on the first card, I don'tknow if I want to try formatting again through Explore. Is that common practice, or would the format be different than what the camera would do?

Thanks,

Rob

Old May 15, 2005, 1:29 AM   #5

nooner,

I will definitely use the camera to delete images from now on. What do you mean "format the card in the camera after each image download"? Is this automatic, or is the formatting process selected somewhere on the camera?

Thanks
Old May 15, 2005, 1:58 AM   #6

It's in the camera menu Page 94 in the manual. Much safer to format with the camera not the PC.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 2:12 AM   #7

That was simple enough. I'm not sure how I overlooked it.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2005, 5:17 AM   #8

RobPA wrote:
Quote:
* Then I selected the pictures in the camera and deleted them.* Now the camera shows the card as having no stored images, but there is very little available memory.* I was only able to put 40 new pictures on one card and 8 on the other.
Reformatting the SD card in the camera is the best course of action.

If you deleted images by dragging them to the 'Recycle Bin'(PC) or the 'Trash' (Mac) they are still physically on the SD card taking up room although you can't see them. They are only deleted totally from the card when you empty the Recycle Bin or Trash which must be done before disconnecting the camera.

Regards
chinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:27 AM   #9

On the PC, if you cut and paste the files from the card using Ctl X to cut them, they're gone in the same way as formatting the card.

To delete a file or all files, hold down shift as you hit delete and they are erased without using the recycle bin -- with the right utility you could still recover them.

So far as I know, all that happens when you format a card is the same as quick-formatting any other drive -- it changes the first bit for each file in the FAT (File Allocation Table) to show that particular space is available, which is why it's possible to recover a file if the space hasn't been re-used.

That's why it works so fast -- it's only writing a few bits to the drive.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:44 AM   #10

Yep, I would just format the card on the camera since the camera is the one using the file system and not the PC when the pics are being written! So yeah, go to the REVIEW mode and then select menu, down arro and just format.
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote