Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2005, 1:29 AM   #1

Hello All,

I am still learning the art of photography. I have got my FZ15 couple of weeks back. Have been shootin...shootin and learning...learning.

My main interest remains Macro photography...My panasonic FZ15 is great...However, I really feel that I need more closer..macro'er shots. SO I am planning to order the closeup 72mm +1 +2 +4 and Macro +10 screw-in filters. Has anyone got expeirnce with these ?

can some one post a few pictures taken with these filters/ lenses..

Thanks for your help..If anyone wants to see some of the sample images clicked by FZ15.. Here are they...Some macros...outdoors and few of them are my daughtes..check them out and would appreciate comments, feedback and critics..

http://kphotos.blogspot.com/- my daughters

http://aphotos.blogspot.com/- Outdoors/Macros

arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 8:11 AM   #2

The typical "close-up" lenses that you are looking at are simple 1 element magnifying glasses. If you do some searches on this and the dpreview forum you will find numerous postings advising you to save your money for a couple of weeks longer and get a Nikon 6T 2 element achromatic lens or equivalent. they run 40 to 50 bucks for one lens, but the results are far superior to the simple ones. There are many fantastic macro pics to verify it. :-) Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:16 AM   #3

Close-up sets consist of single element lens that give good focus at the center but soft focus towards the edges. Adding a second element will flatten the focus to give clear images to the edges. The nikon 4t and 6t are the most popular dual element macro lens. The 4t (~$40) has 52mm threads; the 6t (~$50)has62mm. Both are +3 diopter. You should get an adapter such as pemaraal, phayee, or raynox to attach add-on lens to the fz15. The stock adapter places the add-on too far from the camera lens not to mention the large more expensive 72mm diamter. I would recommend getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter and the 52mm nikon 4t macro lens.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:06 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Close-up sets consist of single element lens that give good focus at the center but soft focus towards the edges. Adding a second element will flatten the focus to give clear images to the edges. The nikon 4t and 6t are the most popular dual element macro lens. The 4t (~$40) has 52mm threads; the 6t (~$50)has62mm. Both are +3 diopter. You should get an adapter such as pemaraal, phayee, or raynox to attach add-on lens to the fz15. The stock adapter places the add-on too far from the camera lens not to mention the large more expensive 72mm diamter. I would recommend getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter and the 52mm nikon 4t macro lens.

Thanks Fmoore for your suggestion...However, aint just buying 72mm close-up sufficient? How does a longer adapter (that comes with the camera) make a difference? Does it have a impact on picture quality? Also if I buy brands other than Nikon, How much difference will it make?

Thanks AP

arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 2:03 PM   #5

Yeah, another fatal flaw of single element magnifiers (close-up lens) is that they separate the light in different wavelengths showing chromatic abberations that looks horrible in high contrast elements in a picture. So yeah, save for achromats (2 element lenses), I have the Minolta close up achromats (No.1 [+2.9], and No.2 [+3.9])but they come in 55mm rear thread diameters and they are comparable to the Nikon 5T/6T, or the Olympus MCON-40
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 4:03 PM   #6

Do a Google search for reviews of the Ebay lenses before you buy. I have and for the most part the reviews are not good. Most recommend staying away from those lenses and, as fmoore said, buy one such as the Nikon 6t.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:26 PM   #7

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
aint just buying 72mm close-up sufficient? How does a longer adapter (that comes with the camera) make a difference? Does it have a impact on picture quality? Also if I buy brands other than Nikon, How much difference will it make?
AP - The Canon 250d 72mm ($120) is only 72mm dual element macro lens I know of. It's an excellent +4 diopter macro lens. But, it is generally preferable to getany add-on lens as close to the camera lens as possible. The fz20 adapter puts an add-on about 20mm away from the extended fz20 lens. Its 72mm adapter works pretty good with a macro lens but there is a greater chance of chromatic aberration and lens reflectionwith that much distance between the two. Since you can get the same quality and greatly reduce the chanceof ca and refection occurring for half the price, that would seem to be the way to go. Furthermore, the closeness of the 52mm rt5264p adapter willwork much betterthan the stock 72mm stock adapter for tele and wide angle converters. There are some excellent 52mm tele and wa lens.

Fred

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote