Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2005, 7:52 PM   #11

I have been curious if there is an answer for this question that is not so "hit and miss" as well.

At what point could you use "Scenery" from the Menu in Scene mode to lock focus from ?ft to infinity? Would it work if the bird was more than 100 feet away? 150 feet?

I thought that the whole point of Scenery in the Scene mode was to not worry about the focal point, and it seems like that should work.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:09 PM   #12

i dunno if Scenery mode would work any better... even the manual tells you the way to capture a moving target is to focus where the object will be, then use burst mode to catch it as it passes. that's all well an' good for a subject that can only go where you have the camera pointed, like a car on a road. but birds can go anywhere, change direction at any time, and predicting their flight is hit-and-miss at best. this is one of those instances in which it would be SO nice to have a focus-distance indicator in the viewfinder to show where the camera was focused... you could set it for a distance closer than your intended subject, and use f8 with max DOF to get the shot at least reasonably clear...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:07 PM   #13

this shot was easy ..slow moving .soaring slowly looking for prey.using auto focus in the spot mode at 12 x
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 11:19 PM   #14

Pappy AND VP,

Pappy, I don't think your problem with that pic is the focus. You shot that with a very slow for action shots 1/30 shutter speed. To stop the action of the wings you'll need something much higher.

VP you're shot may be a focus issue or a shutter speed...you shot at 1/125th. I have found that decent action shots need to be be roughly 1/250th shutter speed or faster to come out clear.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 11:34 PM   #15
VP

That's a point there on the speed.Changing conditions on that one...was taking a pic of an ugly buzzard on the ground when that one came in and veered off. I'll get him yet (maybe)
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 12:01 AM   #16

I'm sure you'll get him! Just have fun doing so...
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 6:04 AM   #17

nice 1 jazz
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 8:23 PM   #18

Excellent.

I was going to just post with the same issue. I was at the bird sanctuary the other day. Not only can I not get pictures of birds in flight, but I can't get the auto-focus on them to focus fast enough when they're perched, because by the time it lines them up they're already gone.

There was a really nice Cooper's Hawk here in Natick Ma I wanted to get a pic of and I just could not snap it in time.

So, the general consensus is auto-focus/Spot mode "ON" for bird-shots? This is with an FZ1 converted to FZ2.
Wagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:24 AM   #19

yes the thrill of the hunt .......
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote