Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1

i cannot seem to get clear shots of birds in flight, even relatively slow ones like herons. the camera just can't focus fast enough to stay with the birds, and tracking them through the EVF is impossible once you take a pic, 'cuz the EVF image freezes for a moment while the camera saves the image.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"is there any way to overcome the slowAF problem, so i can get the bird clearly in focus? even using manual, the camera reacts too slowly to give me a clear image. or is the only solution to lock the focus on a certain spot and hope i can catch the bird as it flies past? i never had this problem with my film SLR - the TTL focus and trackingand quick-focusing manuallenses let me capture moving targets clearly. that's the one major complaint i have with using the FZ... it's very difficult to use for that sort of phorography!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

i use auto spot focus when i try this ..the success rate is low but sometimes i get some clear shots ..i find the auto focus is faster then me trying a manual focus..and i use the evf when attemping this ...it's like a crap shot for me
Attached Images

jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:19 PM   #3

auto spot focus, okay, but what do you focus ON? the camera can't change focus fast enough to keep up with a moving target... i use EVF all the time, and even with that, it's almost impossible to get a clear shot. i know it CAN be done... folks like Smac and others have posted pics here, both birds and insects, that prove capturing critters in flight is possible... it's just very frustrating, and i wonder if they got their pics by just aiming at a certain spot, focusing, and waiting...

nice pic, by the way... i like how the bird's shadow also appears on the rocks...
Old May 15, 2005, 2:17 PM   #4

I guess you can spot focus on something that has a similar distance to the flying path of the moving object. Another thing you can do is close the aperture (like F4 or even F5.6) to get a greater depth of field so your chances of getting a well focused subject are increased. I have the FZ1v2 and we have no Manual focus ring and our AF is somewhat slower but it still works!
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:00 PM   #5

it's all split second timing .i try to put the focus spot right on the bird .once you here the two beeps on the auto focus you fire ...and try the burst mode when you shoot ....if you can anticipate the flight of the bird you can prefocus...oh and one more thing ..i pick slow moving subjects ......
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:49 PM   #6

heres a dud this was a split second shot from about 150 feet

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Sledge/Desktop/5-6-05/flight.jpg[/img]

someday ill get the hang of it and get some really good ones
Attached Images

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:55 PM   #7

I have tried most of the above, but more to using the burst mode and also the 'sports' thing, I found that in the sports action, the camera shutter seemed to react faster,......anduse the spot focus..........there is a guy here....bobc....... who is very good at birds flying photos.....unfortunatly I cannot find the thread where he mentioned how he did it.

my half-penny worth Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 6:15 PM   #8
Mag

Hi squirl,

I have been tempted to try this, its pretty cheap @ $15.00 just havent got around to it yet.

Its a red dot aiming system designed for bb guns ect. It can be mounted to hot shoe, no lasers just a red dot in a piece of glass. Once you sight it in you cantrack your subject with the dot so freezing isnt a problem, and you can use it in conjuction with lcd if you like. It supposedly works rather well in continous autofocus mode. Although i am a bit sceptical. Here is a link to information on its use http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/image/33784383

and a link where it can be ordered http://airgunsbbguns.com/crosman-cro...cro0290rd.html i read that the mounting brackets can be reversed to mount in a hot shoe.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 6:48 PM   #9

a red-dot sight for a camera - now that's a novel approach! i have one on one of my pistols, so i know how they work... that'd help the tracking, probably, but it's the focus that i seem to be having the most trouble with... theAF systemjust can't seem toreact fast enough to keep a moving target in clear focus... i suppose i could try just setting the manual focus for a distance somewhere closer than the subject, and using f8 to give me enough DOF to capture the bird with reasonable clarity... does any particular focus mode work better? i usually don't use 'continuous AF', as i've heard it slows things down somewhat and also drains the battery faster, but i've also seen references to using it for action shots like this... :?
Old May 15, 2005, 7:01 PM   #10
VP

I have had not much luck with any of the methods for the same reason you mention, focus is not fast enough. Continuous auto focus is not much use to me for that stuff.

Best I have done are those going straight away and those were not good.

The red dot sight is something I had thought about using for low light to find the subject. Just sight it in and not worry about the EVF or LCD. First thought was using a laser pointer to do that but couldn't find one that would stay on once turned on.

Even all that doesn't solve the focus issue.:sad:
Attached Images

VP is offline   Reply With Quote