Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2005, 2:20 PM   #1

Alexander, our son, is ready to pop any time now. I want to try and take some studio type pictures of him in a couple months but I have no idea where to start. I checked the lighting forum over at DPReview and all they seem to talk about are pro equipment that I can't afford right now.

All I want is a small and simple setup to use with my FZ20. Im not looking for professional quality, just something nice and different from the usual picture on the couch for example. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks in advance.
dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 3:09 PM   #2

I think the first step would be to look into an external flash with a diffuser since many of shots will be indoors. The diffuser may help to avoid harsh light on the little guy. If conditions are good enough you could play around with high ISO and post noise reduction.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 4:38 PM   #3

I have a Sunpak 383 and Stofen Omnibouncer on the way. Now whats next? :lol:
Old May 15, 2005, 4:59 PM   #4

i know what you mean but i dont think it needs to be high tech .The camera will do the job fine with good lighting and bakground . You can buy foluresent fixtures reletively cheep and make a rough stand outa scrap materials .Or just pik a suuny mid morning or late afternoon day and shoot outside . My wife and i just had our 4th baby saturday morning i took a few picks with terrible light they came out rather well tho
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 8:01 AM   #5

You can also buy a backdrop like this one from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...515229826&rd=1 since it is an ugly green you can delete it in photoshop with the Magic Background Eraser tool and put whatever you want as background. A friend of mine took some wedding pictures with this with his Digital Rebel and external flash/diffuser and the pictures came out awesome on print.
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

HEY! now that sounds like a good idea Ascaria. Im going to try that. Thanks everyone.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:20 PM   #7

All good suggestions. If you do natural light, make sure the light is coming from a North-facing window. Sounds weird, but it makes a big difference.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 7:55 AM   #8

I recommend picking up a set of reflectors. You can pick up a Photoflex Multidisc for around $50 at B&H. A standcosts about the same, or you can have someone hold it.

Here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...998&is=REG

Click on the Features tab to read how each color behaves and they're recommended uses.

I don't have a set yet, but they're definitely going on the birthday wish list.
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote