Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2005, 4:47 PM   #1

I've tried taking a few waterfall pictures with my FZ3 on two different days now and something's not right. In full manual mode, I'm trying an F-value of 8 with 1/4 shutter speed. The photos are coming back completely washed out. I even tried setting the EV to -2 and got the same thing. The first time I tried this was on a very cloudy day. Someone told me that I'd have better luck at it on a sunny day (and everything I've read about waterfall photography says about how hard it is to get enough light into the picture). That didn't make any sense to me, but since I'm new to all this, I thought I'd try it today when it was bright and sunny...with no luck.

Before (in P mode, F: 5.6, Exposure Time: .0025)

Attached Images

jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 4:50 PM   #2

After: (M mode, F: 8.0, Exposure Time, .16667)

How can I fix this? This example isn't even a waterfall, and it wasn't that bright to begin with.... It's also not one of the ones I switched the EV to -2 for...but they came out just as badly.
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2005, 5:30 PM   #3

i know what you mean , try setting on fully auto and see what the camera thinks about distance and lighting use that as a reference and fine tune it from there taking different shots above or below the cams recomendations .This one is in auto on extremely bright day
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4
Mag

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:39 PM   #5

There seems to be a disconnect in what you are saying. You are talking about working in full manual mode and yet also saying you are setting theEV to -2. EV doesn't work with full manual mode since it is basically an over-ride for the programmed modes, telling the camera to over or under-expose.

Your subject has a very large dynamic range, about 8 stops I'd guess. The camera can only render a 5 stop range of light, about the same range as slide film will render. You either need to wait until the light changes to illuminate the dark area (I'd guess about 3 hours based on the shadows), use a fill flash (unlikely given the distance), do two separate exposures with a tripod (one for highlights, one for shadows) and combine them in your favorite software, or live with the dark areas being under-exposed.

Waiting for better light will probably also give a picture with more depth.

Did you have a look at the histogram?It will tell you a lot about the range of light in the scene.

You are a bit over-exposed in the foregound as it is. This scene is an excellent opportunity to learn about the limitations of your equipment and how to compensate. If you have the opportunity keep practicing here as if you can get this picture to a satisfactory result you will have learned a lot.
kbwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

kbwaldron wrote:
Quote:
There seems to be a disconnect in what you are saying. You are talking about working in full manual mode and yet also saying you are setting theEV to -2. EV doesn't work with full manual mode since it is basically an over-ride for the programmed modes, telling the camera to over or under-expose.
Yeah I thought about that after I posted this. I tried just about every different setting with every different mode that I could, not just in manual. The EV changes were on P mode.

Also, as far as the rest of your comments go...

I looked at the histogram, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to change much. I know there's a large range with lighting here, but even when I'd zoom in on a waterfall (one with very little water moving over it, and in the shade) I'd still get a washed out look.

And Pappy, I can't see the picture you linked...just a red X
Old May 15, 2005, 9:41 PM   #7

If you're interested, I put a couple of actual waterfall shots up on Webshots earlier. http://community.webshots.com/album/346184578VIejmm

It appears to be listed in the Rodeo directory for some reason though...lol. But anyway, that's what I'm coming across when I try slower shutter speeds. The last one is with a fast shutter speed and it came out fine!
Old May 15, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8

Here are a few I got with my FZ20. You can pull the exif info off to see the settings. I think it's partly the position you are in when you take the shot. Try getting in a position where there is not so much contrast between the water and the rest of the scene.

Hope this helps.

bobc

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 10:06 PM   #9

Attached Images

Old May 15, 2005, 10:06 PM   #10

Attached Images