Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 16, 2005, 11:08 AM   #1

Hi everyone. Well I just placed my order for my FZ5 that I am eagerly awaiting. Now my question is, what accessories should I have while I wait for my camera to come in? I'm looking to buy an SD card and back up battery of course. Are there any brands I should look into or any brands I should stay away from?

I have a $70 gift for Best Buy. Are there any cards or batteries I should look into at Best Buy? They have all these different brands and I'm not sure if one is better then the other or if the brands really matter. Also, is 512 ok for size or should I look into 1gig?

Am I forgetting anything?

Oh btw... I am a newbie when it comes to this.

Thanks to all.

Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2

For the SD card get a major brand and go by the speed in mb/sec. It should be listed somewhere on the package. The current basic SD is around 2Mb/sec read speed and would probably slow the recycle and download times. Look for a write speed of 5mb/sec or a read speed of 8mb/sec or faster. Every company seems to have its own translation of what 1X is, so a 40X from one manufacturer isn't necessarily the same as a 40X from another. Most use 1X at 150k/sec write speed, but it is better to find the actual speeds rather than go by 32X etc. 5X write speed is not the fastest available, but probably won't slow your cycle times.

512Mb should be plenty unless you are planning a long trip without any way to download the images.

I have had very good luck with this battery for my FZ10 – it seems as good as the original: http://store.yahoo.com/eagleimports/dmw-bm7.html I think it also fits the FZ5, but you might want to wait for feedback from someone who has used it. If they have a battery at Best Buy it is probably the original and will be pricey.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:20 PM   #3

I agree with comments about the Sd card.

As regards batteries, just don't goand buy another Pana one. They are WAY too expensive. A lot of people just get them off ebay and seem to get good results. Make sure which ever one you do go for has a rating of AT LEAST 680ma - the same as the Pana one.

You also might want a case, go for a reasonably good one with at leats a little room for cards, bateries and a filter or two. I use a Lowenpro - but I got it with the camera.

Oh one more suggestion. Get some Asprin. Your girlfriend/wife/partner will need them when you start talking dribble over the camera:lol:

woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:36 PM   #4

1) a camera case; Best Buy is a good place to pick one up.

2) At least 512MB card. Best Buy is a BAD place to get this, you can get twice as much memory for the same money if you get the card from newegg.com or similar sites. I would get a 1GB card for about $80 delivered, online. Get a hi-speed one, an Ultra II or Kingmax, or maybe a Lexar

3) Extra battery. $15 delivered to your doorstep, from Ebay.

4) UV filter to protect the lens. Hoya seems to be the brand of choice, you need one with 55mm thread. While you are playing with filters, a linear polarizer is nice if you shoot a lot at the beach, on a lake, or in snow or other bright conditions.

That would be my short list.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 4:07 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the good tips. I've bought batteries off Ebay before for my old dig cam and mini DV with no problems. So I won't think twice about buying a battery from there again. As for the SD card, I'll look at the brands suggested. Any SD card that stands out from the others? Is a filter really needed?

Thanks again to all. I guess I can use my gift card to buy pr0n at Best Buy.:-)

Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:17 PM   #6

The UV filter is a mixed bag. Some folks (myself included) leave it on all the time, to protect that expensive lens. Some seem to think if it breaks, the UV lens itself will scratch the camera's lense.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote