Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 16, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

Hi,

Intersted on more info on the fz20
I have a FujiS500 right now

1. does the image stab really do a good job?
2. the Macro. anyone got a good example of the macro? Do you know if its better than the S5000?

3. how do you rate it over all?

cheers
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 1:50 PM   #2

Well I can not comment directly on the 20 as I have the 15.

Been about a week with it and I love the FZ series.

To answer your questions;

1. The IS works very well. There are 2 modes. Mode one is where it is on all the time. Makes shooting with a high zoom easier but uses more battery. Mode 2 is where it is used just when the picture is taken.

2. The macro mode by itself allows you to get 5cm from the subject. This can be a problem for lighting and other things you may want to zoom on but not be right on top of. From what I can tell for others who have this series, (the 10,15 or 20) they get an external adapter and macro lens. There are tons of images on this web board just look.

3. Rating over all is a 9. I had a Oly C720, but really wanted a better zoom, better lens and manual focus. Looking at the various reviews including Steve's (Please see his review site) I chose this one and ordered it over the internet. I decided I didn;t need the hot shoe or 5 MP so I went with the 15. The cheapest I could find the 20 was well over $100 more.

Here is a macro shot I took at my local zoo Saturday.

Jeff
Attached Images

AevnsGrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

Simon: If you do a quick look at the activity of this Panasonic section of Steves you will see it is WAY ahead of any other vendor or camera. Lots to find just by browsing the players here.

OIS does work fine - there are some old lags like me who add our natural shake and the FZ20 sorts it all out (within reason of course).

Macro - well you have Jeff's shot without any additional lens or look for nzmacro, suze, fmoore and many others who use add-on lenses to great effect.

Rating - The FZ's are not perfect but in the bang-for-the-buck ratings they must be #1 by far. The one thing it is not is a point & shoot. You have to work a little but the results are superb.

Go for it

Ian

Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:01 PM   #4

Hi Simon, nice to see you drop in here. As you know I have the FZ20, have had for a week now, so not an expert. I'm a Canon convert but when looking to upgrade, the Canon S1 IS had very mixed reviews, and I wasn't totally satisfied with the final quality. The Pana was consistently highly rated in every review, even if it didn't quite make the top spot.

Ilooked at the Fuji range but they didn't have IS, and with the incredible 12x zomm that is really nice to have.

The IS seems to work very well. The Leica lens is absolutly superb and I challange you to find much better. It manages to keep an F2.8 stop right thru it's whole focal length. Amazing.

there are two slight downsides to the 20. In low light levels the displays are not brilliant ( they don't brighten up).

Secondly for really fast action shots your LCD/EVF either blanks or freezes momentarily making following the object harder. This however seems to be very common with most cameras of this ilk, not just the Pana. In fact somebody has suggested about the only way round it is to get an SLR.

For Macro modes the camera as it stands is very good, however most people on here tend to get an additional lense (Nikon 4t/6t) seem to be very popular. But i rather suspect irrespective of which ever make of camera you go for, to really take advantage to true macro you would need to get an additional lens anyway.

Take a really good look around this forum. It's what finally sold me on the FZ20. There are some fantastic - and I mean fantastic - shots on here. Even by people like me who posted only after two days the quality is excellent.

Two other quick points. 1) If you go for the Pana, get 3rd party batteries. They are MUCH cheaper and seem to do just as well.

2ndly. i got my FZ20 off Ebay. (My link is floating ariound here somewhere.) I paid £350 for a 3 month old one with remaining warranty, adaptors, case, 1 Gig SD card and spare battery. there are deals to be had!

Good luck, let me/us know how you get on. If you want to PM me please feel free.

By the way (personal note here) I was in Cobwebs in Romsey only last weekend!!

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 4:52 PM   #5

ukwoody wrote:
Quote:
By the way (personal note here) I was in Cobwebs in Romsey only last weekend!!
and I was on the Millbrook estate on Thursday and in the Ship for lunch - FZ20 in the boot (trunk for our US friends) just in case!

Ian:-)
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:03 PM   #6

I haven't been in the "ship" for years! Know it well. I'm an ex Shirley Boy.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:01 PM   #7

such a small world.......

lots of detail there, thanks for that, i still cant decide. i think ill wait for Steves full review and conclusion on the Canon S2.

Still getting lots of fun from the Fuji S5000 but think IS would be handy, as dont usually carry a tripod.

And i blow pics up to A2 ish size.

oh do ya like the horse lol
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote