Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2005, 11:53 PM   #11

tjod,

I splurged and bought the Pana teleconverter. Now that the big bite of the $500 cost is 9 months past, I'm glad I have it. I think it is grossly overpriced for a lens with no moving parts, but it is an impressive, quality piece of glass. I can't directly compare it with the Oly or other teles because I haven't used them. I've never been happy with teleconverters for my film cameras in the past, so that influenced my decision to pop for the pana tele. With the Pana LTZ10, I did not waste my money. I shoot mostly small birds so the $1000 for the FZ10 and the LTZ10 is a bargain compared to a dslr and a 400mm IS lens. When the next generation FZ 30? ultrazoom comes out, I might sell the FZ10 and keep the teleconverter.

Check out what this amazing camera/lens combo can do, see my previous posted image called "Get me down from here please". It really shows what the zoom will do: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...297602#p297602

Also, another image I took this week with the LTZ10:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...310561#p310561

Both images were greatly reduced in resolution for fast downloading, but the originals are much sharper.

The Pana tele lens bracket is very well made and comes with the lens. When using with a tripod or monopod, it is essential for balanced support of the long heavy lens and to prevent stripping the tripod mount threads in the camera body.

Only you can decide whether your purpose for telephoto justifies the higher cost for the Pana LTZ10.

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:08 AM   #12

Both examples are excellent - thanks for that! The first gives me a bit of vertigo. 8-) Excellent quail shot - that's more in line with what I'd be doing with the lens

I think I'm fairly wll convinced to get the Panasonic lens instead of the others.

Thanks to all who have posted the recommendations.

8-)
tjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:16 AM   #13

Hope you enjoy the pana tele lens as much as I do. Good Luck.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 2:05 AM   #14

My FZ-10 user guide has a page for this lens. Hope it is helpful.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10, Canon A95 User Guides
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 4:01 AM   #15

I had the $$$so I bought both the LTZ10 and the Raynox (I forget the # but I believe it has a 2.2x magnification). What everyone says about the LTZ10 is certainly true, it is great, I don't think there is any noticeable difference with it on, quality wise, than when it isn't on the camera. The Raynox doesn't have the quality, and depending on certain conditions (I find your exposure has to be dead on, a little underexposed and you get ghosting and dark halo-ed areas) it doesn't look good at all. But it's like having a telescope, I feel like I work for the FBI when I use it,and if that is what you are looking for, it is worth the $179 to try it out, esp. if you can exchange it if you don't like it. I would assume it is great for wildlife work, but I don't usually do that so I couldn't give you a hands on review.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:11 AM   #16

Hi! I'm really debating on whether to purchase the panasonic teleconverter lens or the Tcon14B. I'm leaning towards the panasonic, but I read somewhere that you can't add a filter for protection to the end of it. Is this true, and if so, do you see it as a problem? I don't know if I would want to risk scratching a $500 lens.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:49 AM   #17

I purchased the Panasonic Telelens DMW-LTZ10 also sometime ago and have taken some beautiful bird pictures with it. it is certainly a quality lens, matched for the FZ 10/20 camera and doing it at f2.8 all the way.

I am now glad I purchased it although at the time I thought they were too expensive.

Then again, the high price is long forgotten by now but I am having lots of fun with this telelens let me tell you.

Hope this helps

JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:48 AM   #18

Yes, thanks! Now all I need to do is find the $$ 8-)
tjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:29 AM   #19

ride16 wrote:
Quote:
Hi! I'm really debating on whether to purchase the panasonic teleconverter lens or the Tcon14B. I'm leaning towards the panasonic, but I read somewhere that you can't add a filter for protection to the end of it. Is this true, and if so, do you see it as a problem? I don't know if I would want to risk scratching a $500 lens.
ride16,

A standard 86mm Filter willwork if you carefullysand or file down the threads until it fits. Then use electrical tape to hold it in. It sounds like an awful way to do it, but it works great and you really cannot tell. The supplied lenscap also fits over the filter. Plus you can add a lens hood to the filter if you want.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:00 PM   #20

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, too good of a deal came along on eBay, and I purchased a tcon 14B and a wcon 08B from a guy selling his camera. I just couldn't spend the money on the panasonic lens, so hopefully the Tcon telephoto will be good enough for me ("good enough for government work").:G If not, I can always resell it and buy the pana. For the price, I couldn't resist. I'll be posting some pics as soon as it arrives.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote