Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 18, 2005, 1:48 AM   #1

I've been messing around with my FZ3 for a week now and I finally got a waterfall shot that isn't completely terrible I think...
Attached Images

jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 6:22 AM   #2

oh yea , now your talking , i like it alot
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:21 AM   #3

Thanks... I got a ND4 filter the other day, but I didn't have it with me when I took this one. I was surprised to see that it worked without at least that or a polarizer.
Old May 18, 2005, 2:14 PM   #4

jrh312 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks... I got a ND4 filter the other day, but I didn't have it with me when I took this one. I was surprised to see that it worked without at least that or a polarizer.
it probably worked because you were shooting on such a cloudy day (judging by the absence of any sunlight or shadows), the camera selected a slow shutter speed just to get the right exposure! nice pic, but it seems a little dark for my taste...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:59 PM   #5

I agree, it's too dark overall. The ND4 filter on a cloudy day or in the shade should work great. You may need an ND8 or maybe stack the ND4 with a polarizer for sunny shots. How close to these waterfalls are you? I have to travel quite a bit to find any around me but you seem to be fairly close.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 5:20 PM   #6

yeah, it's dark, but it's still a lot lighter than it was straight off the camera...lol. I'll lighten it up some though and see how it looks. Like I said, I'm still fuzzy on a lot of the settings, but that was in full manual mode at 1/4 second exposure. I did adjust the aperture, and I think it needed to be wider than I had it set for.

And Troy, I live right along Lake Erie, so everything pretty much drains into it in this part of the state anyway, so there are plenty of creeks. I actually had a hard time finding ones that were small enough to have waterfalls like this. I don't know what else is out there because I'm new to the area, but I found a nice little creek (the one I was at for this photo) down in the woods behind a friend's barn last night. There seemed to be a lot of good opportunities there, so I'm going to go back tonight and see if I can get anything else. That picture was taken about a half an hour before sunset in the woods, so it was really dim outside anyway.

Edit: I just lightened it up, but it's still a little dark