Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2005, 5:18 PM   #1

I received my Fz5 on May 3, and I have been totally overwhelmed by the quality of the photos posted on here and how much I have to learn! Out of 1,500 plus pictures this week I got two I wanted to post for your opinion. I will try the dove first and if the critiques are too bad, I will shoot 1,500 more and try again for a good one. Ha.I truly would like your opinions. I have never used anything in my 68 years except a point and shoot and having gotten a mentor who, to me, knows everything, from this forum, I want to learn how to take GOOD pictures, not just pictures. What I thought was great May 2, I delete now!
Attached Images

oprakitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 6:32 PM   #2

We have Doves nesting in our yard at the moment and they are quite the good posers. Their subtle color hides them from predators and needs to have something to contrast with for us to see.
If you can get her with a more plain background it would show off those subtle colors a little more. Also, try to get on their level. IMO!
Thanks for sharing and shoot a lot and often. Heck, it's free.
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

Maybe they're related.
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2005, 7:45 PM   #4

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I originally called it a mourning dove, but I was told that was incorrect. I guess that is what my 10 birding books are to be used for...to check my facts. LOL I loved the colors of the dove on the fence. I have been shooting from my kitchen window, sans screen. I know they will come eat if I sit on the ground so I will try that and see if I can lose some DOF. (I told you I was learning from all of you - I had no idea what DOF meant until I started reading the forum). The pair of doves is beautiful. We only see mourning doves in our part of the state (northeastern corner of Oklahoma) but this is our first year to have blacked headed grosbeaks visit our feeders as well as a pair of rosebreasted grosbeaks so maybe we will see more varieties of birds in our backyard. We have at least 100 hummingbirds daily, I am sure. Enough that I am already using 3 qts of syrup in 1 1/2 to 2 days. I am working on focus and learning how to use the camera, but bird photography is my passionate interest, especially after seeing the bird pictures posted here.
oprakitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 8:43 PM   #5

You definitely have the correct camera for your passion.
Keep on shooting and print out YOUR favorites.
Good luck!
Old May 21, 2005, 1:24 AM   #6

Hi, I just read my email and am so glad that you posted your picture. It looks like you are enjoying your new fz5. Thanks for sharing. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote