Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 21, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1

Heres a breakdown of my project , inspired by the high cost of good camera equipment . I set out for somthing more affordable for everyone to enjoy .

I spent more time trying to find tubes and stuff without using any equipment but that didnt go so good .So the only technical thing is machineing down the PVC pipe .

Or you maybe able to pick up where i left off and find somthing that requires no machining .However you can probably find someone to do the turning down on the PVC pipe for a small fee hopefully . You may even come up with a better solution in some of the steps 2 brainsare better than 1 :blah:.

i did paint the inside of the tube with flat black bumper paint for extra measure

if you have any questions feel free to ask , hope its gives you some ideas anyway

happy mac-ing
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2005, 2:31 PM   #2

also ill be working on a wide angle and telephoto using lens optics from possibly this source .From what i studied these are very good products .You can get all the lens you need here minus the middle man :G

http://www.edmundoptics.com/US/onlin...94&level=2
Old May 21, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

heres a few test to show the power of the magnification , i forgot my tripod again so there not perfect but you get the idea .I can actually leave the mag section off and shoot macros with only the 1st lenson the raynox as well .

Old May 21, 2005, 8:34 PM   #4

Let me be the first to say that is undirtywordbelievable. Nice work!
rink_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:54 PM   #5

All right, Pappy!! You da manmade macro! What was the total outlay for this other than the Labor of Love? From what distance do you focus on the subject at full 12x zoom? 6-8"?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 10:29 PM   #6

hehe thanks Fmoore means alot from a experinced photographer ,total cost around $8.00 .The Camcorder was a luck find at a garage sale , but you may find somthing else to substitute .

the sweat spot distance is around 8 inches with your best DOF.I havent had the time to take measured tests because of work and weather .I believe you could make it better with adjustments to the mag glassor maybe getting the 1st lens even closer to the cam lens .But with limited tools ill have to be happy with this.Ive learned alot from this project so it can only get better on the next one .

Photography has really become interesting to me again so i plan on buying alot of equipment to make my own stuff .The bigest thing is a lathe right now i have a buddy thats doing itsense i cant get to the lathe because of work . Hes currently turning down an aluminum piston from a transmission that ill be making a macro ring light with sense a good one costs about $400.00 ill make my own for around $30 bucks.

I may even offer tosell the ring light in the future for a fraction of the cost .

$400.00 is way to high for those and ill help people afford one that will work very well if the prices dont start dropping
Old May 23, 2005, 9:44 AM   #7

That is a job well done.

Also thanks for the detailed pics and instructions.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:03 AM   #8

Very nice job and you got some good pictues with it. You just saved the next person who wants to try this a lot of time.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:45 AM   #9

heres some with it attached to give you some deminsions of its size

hey it works :GIm sure you can perfect it as well .Im thinking about adding another lens to it :lol: