Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 22, 2005, 8:22 AM   #1
dlw

I went to my granddaughter's baton twirling debut (she's 5) yesterday and it was held in a large, very well lighted school gym. I'm a real novice with the FZ20 and just use it on the fully automatic mode thus far. Here's the scoop - when I used the flash the pictures turned out sharp enough but very yellow. Without the flash, the pictures were bright and correctly colored but pretty much out of focus or fuzzy. How can I avoid this? I love the outdoors pictures I get with the Z but am a bit frustrated with indoor shots like these. Is there an easy, understandable work around for this issue? I am already on the edge of selling the FZ20 due to the reddish tint that I get on skin tones when taking indoor pictures. Did Panasonic address that problem in the Z5? I've owned several Kodak digital cameras and never had the red cast issue ever. Overall, the longer I own the FZ20, the more dissappointed I am. My daughter is going to Europe soon and I'm probably going to buy her a Canon S1 (in part because I might dump the Panasonic and buy the S2 for myself if hers works well). Thanks!
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 9:01 AM   #2

Some indoor lighting looks bright enough to our eyes but not to the camera's. Also, I found that in gymnasiums the camera (in my case the FZ10)did MUCH better if I set the WB myself. If you don't have a WB card, I've heard using the white lid from a Pringle's can works wonderfully. Indoors IS much tougher with digital cameras in general. Good Luck !
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:57 PM   #3

How far are you away from the action? Sounds like an external flash is in order. Also try bumping up the ISO to 200 or 400. You can always clean up the noise later. Your picture is coming out fuzzy because without the flash, the camera on P setting is selecting a much slower shutter speed, which really requires a tripod.

dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:59 PM   #4

it's not the camera's fault.the yellow tint is caused by the indoor lighting. you need to set the white balance for the type of lighting in the gym. if all else fails, take a piece of white paper with you, and set the WB for that using the light in the gym. that calibarates the sensor by telling it what "white" is under those light conditions. you can switch back to auto afterward. if you want to shoot indoors without a flash and get clear, sharp images, you need a tripod. period. OIScan only doso much.

the FZ20 is not a point-n-shoot... it does require some attention to detail and proper set-up before you use it if you want optimum results. if you want a camera that does everything for you, the FZ ain't it...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 10:54 PM   #5
dlw

Thanks all for thepolite and helpful answers.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote