Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 25, 2005, 1:27 PM   #11

Excellent explanation but still a question...

Does JPG mode degrade image quality every time I open a file? Let's consider the following escenarios...

CASE A

1.- Download *.jpg pictures from my SD card (FZ20 owner)

2.- Open pictures with Photoshop

3.- No edition at all

4.- Close the file
Question: Is there a picture degradation? (I supose not)

CASE B

3.- Edit: Auto Balance and Adjustments (for example)

4.- Save & Close the file (same name and format)
Question: Is there a picture degradation? (I supose yes)

Is that correct?

Thanks a lot
guixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 1:27 PM   #12

Excellent explanation but still a question...

Does JPG mode degrade image quality every time I open a file? Let's consider the following escenarios...

CASE A

3.- No edition at all

4.- Close the file
Question: Is there a picture degradation? (I supose not)

CASE B

3.- Edit: Auto Balance and Adjustments (for example)

4.- Save & Close the file (same name and format)
Question: Is there a picture degradation? (I supose yes)

Is that correct?

Thanks a lot
Old May 25, 2005, 2:03 PM   #13

You suppose right, Guixers.
No degradation when the file is only opened, only when sabved. Try it.

I suggest not to loose time and space with Tiffs.
You can keep the original jpg and save the edited file with another name (as P1000399a.jpg for example).
Tiff on FZ20 (and other cams which has medium-low compreession jpg saving mode) is quite useless.

FR
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 3:26 PM   #14

******'s info relates to RAW which the FZ doesn't have. TIFF would come into play when editing. Capturing TIFF with the camera doesn't really help. RAW is a format widely used by pros and is captured without any interference from the camera. RAW would be a nice addition on the next FZ. JPG2000 is a lossless alternative to TIFF and uses less disk space.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:40 PM   #15

Noon's

Spot on mate!

Harj

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 4:24 AM   #16

Perfect ! but your expert knowledge will be useful to solve another related doubt in another context...

I have plenty (more than 500) old negative in large format from my grandfather (70 years old more or less). Most of them damaged (fingerprints, scatches, etc...)...

I'm digitalising them with an Epson 3870 at highest resolution to preserve digital copies. I plan to restore them with Photoshop and I usually scan in TIFF format creating files of 70Mb aproximately (3200 dpi x large format)... (slow and hard to store..)

Would it be better to work on JPG format? Remember than I'm editing them... (I sopose not)...

Thanks again !
Old May 27, 2005, 10:15 AM   #17

Scan with JPEG. Convert to TIFF for editing. Save as JPEG. Keep the original and edit in separate Jpeg files.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:47 AM   #18

More:

JPEG, TIFF, or RAW ... Which should I Use?
by Darrell Young

[align=justify]If you get nothing else from this article, remember this...by letting your camera process the images in ANY way, it is modifying or throwing away image data. There is only a finite amount of data for each image that can be stored on your camera, and later on the computer. With JPEG or TIFF mode, your camera is optimizing the image according to the assumptions recorded in its memory. Data is being thrown away permanently, in varying amounts.[/align]

If you want to keep ALL the image data that was recorded in the image, you must store your originals in RAW format. Otherwise you will never again be able to access that original data to change how it looks. RAW format is the closest thing to a film negative or a transparency that your digital camera can make.

That is important if you would like to use the image later for modification. If you are a photographer that is concerned with maximum quality you should probably use RAW mode, and store your images in RAW format. Later, when you have the urge to make another masterpiece out of the original RAW image file, you will have ALL of your original data intact for the highest quality.

Now, to qualify this a bit, the TIFF mode is surely a very capable mode, since only a very small amount of the image data is gone. So you could use TIFF mode to make or remake a great image, and have an image format that is compatible with any image processor out there, or any computer program that is modern. And, a JPEG image is very capable also. When modified only once, is beautiful to behold. JPEG images can only be diddled with to a degree, or your image will degrade. It is a widely compatible image format, since most digital "consumer" cameras default to it and pro cameras have the mode available.

Another consideration in digital imaging is short-term storage on the image card in your camera, or longer-term storage on your computer. The JPEG mode will definitely allow you to store more images. For instance, on my Nikon® D100, with a one-gigabyte IBM® Microdrive, I can store about 330 images in JPEG FINE mode, in RAW mode that drops to 107 images, and in TIFF mode, surprisingly, it drops to only 54 images. Due to how TIFF images store color information, they are nearly twice the size to store, as are RAW images. And the RAW mode contains more data for later use!

So, if you want maximum compatibility and maximum reusable quality, use TIFF mode. If you need maximum storage, and excellent initial image quality, use JPEG mode. If you want maximum quality period, use RAW mode.

Many do as I do, and shoot in RAW mode, store the image in RAW mode, and later make TIFF or JPEG images from the RAW images. I can do that over and over without losing my image quality. In fact, JPEG or TIFF images that have been converted on your computer from a RAW image are noticeably higher quality.

Why not go out and make a bunch of digital images today. Whatever mode you use will give you an excellent image later. You can experiment with the various formats and see which YOU like best. Digital photography makes this easy. Now that you have made the investment in digital camera equipment, you can shoot and shoot until you are satisfied, at no extra cost!

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Most cameras will allow you to change formats at any time, and will store all the formats on the same camera image card, so, go and experiment a bit.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 2:21 PM   #19

The FZ does not use RAW. The question is about TIFF vs JPEG.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote