Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 25, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

Just had a few mins to take some picts of my sisters kids over the weekend. Images just converted to B&W, a wee bit of USM, and +10 contrast and then slighty cropped. Resized for here.

My niece
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 5:35 PM   #2

The first one was kind of spoilt by the light on her head - makes it look as if shes got a bald patch! Didn't notice it until today when I got the files of the card. Is there anyway/technique to avoid that flare. No flash used - maybe I shuld have used the Sunpak 383 and bounced it off the ceiling.

Here's my nephew -a super hockey goalkeeper even at the age of 5!

Harj

Attached Images

Old May 25, 2005, 6:53 PM   #3

Nice work Harj,
I would have bracketed the first shot the lighting is contrasty ... say + / - 2/3ev with default set at -1/3 ev
That way the shot with the best highlights could have been corrected in the midtone shadow area In PP

I also in that situation use spot metering and meter around the various mid tone areas the EVF then indicates the look of the image at anyone point where the spot is positioned on, you can then decide on an exposure of course you need to do final frameing and ensure focus is on the eyes.

Some pros actually like slightly blown highlights in portraits.

I like the Shot the other one too, B&W was a good choice.

Cheers
John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 7:05 PM   #4

Good looking kids. Black & white is perfect for these shots. I love the look - natural, unposed. I feel like these pictures actually reveal something about the subjects, as if you've shown the real person behind the image, their personalities. Really outstanding work.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 2:41 AM   #5

Morning John !

Thanks for the tip - I'd complelty forgot about bracketting. Its one feature that I've never used. I did have the exposure at -2/3 but I did switch from spot to centre weighted not sure why I did !? Do you think using a flash to fill in would have worked or would that have just killed off the shot ?

PG & John- thanks for the compliments, I think these are the first picts of the kids that I'm happy with, although I should have moved the toys in the back on the first shot.

Harj
Old May 26, 2005, 5:48 AM   #6

nice pics HarjTT , i like the expressions you've captured
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:15 AM   #7

nice portrait shots harj - especially the second - looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders so the shot is very effective. hope there was time for an ice cream later to put a smile back on that face!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:34 PM   #8

Great stuff... now, get yourself a C86 and some MIS inks and print them! :blah: Most of my pics I print in B&W on the C86. I might never do color again.

And why are kids so cute in pics? ...then what happens? :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote