Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 25, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1

I have found a 2x Sony copy and a 3x panasonic copy that are both under $100. The Sony copy is a 58 mm thread. I like shooting sports Football baseball and wildlife stills.

Would it be worth buying one or will I be disappointed? I have just loved my new camera but I end up using the 12x power a whole lot. Will I loose a lot of light?

HELP!!!!:?

Here is a pic that I took at a minor league game recently.
Attached Images

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 10:54 PM   #2

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I have found a 2x sony copy and a 3x panasonic copy that are both under $100. The sony copy is a 58 mm thread. I like shooting sports Football baseball and wildlife stills.

Would it be worth buying one or will I be disapointed? I have just loved my new camera but I end up using the 12x power a whole lot. Will I loose a lot of light?

HELP!!!!:?

Here is a pic that I took at a minor leuge game recently.
OK, look at it this way...

You've just purchased what many consider the finest 5 meg 12X zoom camera on the market with a range of 36mm to 432mm all at 2.8, that means you will NOT loose any light throughout the whole focal range and a good teleconverter will not affect that.

On top of that, It's a very sharp lenswith minimal CA for its extraordinary zoom that's designed by the premier lens maker in the world "LEICA"...... so as Dirty Harry would say...."Ask yourself this question... Do I feel lucky adding on somecheep after market lens?.... Well do you punk???... Go ahead crap up that wonderful LEICA lens and make your day!!!"

:angry:!:lol::lol::lol:....:ak47:.....thats Harry for you! :G:G:G

In all seriousness, check out previous posts on Teleconverters. You will find all the information you need to make an intelligent decision.

P.S. As a starter, scroll down to my previous post "zoom zoom zoom" There are 3 pics one with 12X zoom, one with the TCON 14B + 12X zoom and TCON 14B + 48X digital zoom to get an idea. Remember, outside of the $500.00 Panasonic LTZ10, whichever teleconverter you choose, you're going to need a lens adapter and that's another story.

Also check out this site on teleconverter comparison. It's in Japanese, but as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words... or you can use Yahoo translator, or here is a quick reference:

Plastic Boy and light = To check center resolution

Roof line and wall = To check peripheral resolution

Trees and radio tower = To check chromatic aberration (purple fringing)

Street light = Peripheral light (vignetting)

The six lenses reviewed are:

Panasonic LTZ10

Olympus TCON 14B and TCON 17

Raynox DCR 1540 Pro and DCR 2020 Pro

Sony HGD 1758

http://nighthead.adzoo.jp/fz/telecon/telecon1.htm

Two more sites with tons of info for the FZ10 but also apply to the FZ20:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/dmcfz10/

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/index.html

Hope this helps and enjoy the FZ20, it's a great camera.

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:52 AM   #3

Love the Camera

Will a teleconverter hurt theaction shots. Will I have problems getting shots at dusk? (harder than usual)
Old May 26, 2005, 2:16 AM   #4

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
Love the Camera

Will a teleconverter hurt theaction shots. Will I have problems getting shots at dusk? (harder than usual)
As I mentioned before, a good teleconverter is not going to change your Fstop, it's just going to bring you closer to the action. The one thing you need to be mindful of is that in low light situations (dusk) where you are shooting at slower speeds, if you are shooting hand held, steadiness really counts. Example if you're at 12X zoom with lets say the TCON 14B - 1.45 teleconverter attached, you are now at 626mm. Minimal hand movement is going to translate to large movement through the lens. The OIS will help, but only so far. You have two choices, increase your ISO or use a tripod if you want a clear shot. If you're shooting with the Raynox 2020 pro at over 900mm the problem is compounded even further because of the very narrow field of view.
Old May 26, 2005, 2:22 AM   #5

On the ISO setting.

I have not worked with it yet. I think I am still on iso 100. How hi can I go without too much noise?
Old May 26, 2005, 2:30 AM   #6

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
On the ISO setting.

I have no worked with it yet. I think I am still on Auto. How hi can I go without too much noise?
ISO 200

ISO400 is quite noisy but you can use several free download noise reduction programs to clean the pictures up quite nicely.

two good ones are:

Noiseware Community

Noise Ninja 2
Old May 26, 2005, 6:03 AM   #7

:lol:Hiroshi i like your flare :Gand i agree with you ,your better off buying the good stuff from the start .Look at it as an investment in somthing you love doing :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:11 PM   #8

A tele converter will make your shots a little softer, especially when you go to 2x and higher. A teleconverterwill magnify the capabilities or lack there of in the camera lens. The best lens IMHO is the Panasonic, followed by the Oly TCON-14B for quality and light. However, they are only 1.5x and 1.4x respectively. The other lenses mentioned; Oly TCON-17 (1.7x) and Sony HGD 1758 (1.7x) are also high quality. I am not familiar with the Raynox, but they appear to also be high quality and peeps here give them good reviews.

Don't get me wrong, they all give good results, but when you look through the samples on the various websites, you will see the quality, not the magnification, is how I rated them. If you need more than 1.5x, then the Panasonic or TCON-14Bis not for you. Remember that you will be shooting from 6X magnification through 12x magnification on the camera. With a 1.5x tele lens you will have a usable zoom range of 9x to 18x. With a 2x tele lens you will have a usablezoom range of 12x to 24x.I use 9x as much as I do 18x, so the Panasonic fits my needs.

I agree with pappy in buying better equipment so price does not affect me as much as quality and function. I used the following website to help with my decision http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/index.html. Like I said earlier, I eventually bought the panasonic DMW-LTZ10 and am very happy with it.

Just my 2 cents worth......
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:47 PM   #9

You can download noise removal software Neat Image for free. It's easy to use and does an excellent job. I've used the Olympus TCON-17 and Sony HGD-1758. Both are excellent. I prefer the TCON-17 simply because it's much lighter than the Sony teleconverter and feels better balanced on my FZ10.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote