Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 26, 2005, 5:47 PM   #1

First of all, the guy at the photo place said that this was made for film cameras and that it might not work right on my FZ3. I just want to make sure it's the lens and not me before I return it because it's not really what I was expecting.

From what I understand, with a 4t and 6t close-up lens, you can use everything from 1x to 12x zoom at various distances, is that right? With this one I have, I can only get it to focus at about 2x zoom or less and still not much further away from the subject than with my camera by itself. I can't get much further away than 3 or 4" or so. I would tend to think that one +3 diopter would be much like another one.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some way I can still use all the zoom and get clear pictures?

Having said all that, I found a 4t this morning, I just can't find a step ring to fit it onto my camera... once I do that, I can compare the two lenses myself and I can still return the Quantaray at any point in the next month. I'd still like some feedback though because I want to get using it if I can make it work! Thanks!

I got this shot this morning with the Quantaray lens on the front, but I had to get within about 2" of it and could only use 1x zoom at any distance.

Attached Images

jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 6:18 PM   #2

See below working distance w/ 4t http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

The Quantaray +3 is the same power as the 4t but is probably a single element lens. 4t is the better choice.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 6:26 PM   #3

yeah, I read that right before I posted... I just didn't know if there was something different with the 4t and 6t that allowed them to be used throughout the different zooms.

Also, in your reply to that post, you said that F is about 13" or so for a +3 diopter filter...does that apply to everything from 1x to 12x zoom, or how do you recalculate it for the different levels of zoom?
Old May 26, 2005, 7:21 PM   #4

Practice on coins or jewelry in bright light. A close florescent light will suffice. Set the zoom to 6x and notice that you will focus from about 1 foot away with a shutter half press. Try it at different zooms and see how close or far away you can get and be in focus. Use the half press to lock focus. If it shows red your not in focus. But by moving closer or further you will see it focus. (Nothing in thedragon fly shot isin focus.)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:56 PM   #5

I got a good impromptu "better learn to use this fast" lesson tonight with that lens...lol. I was down at Presque Isle looking for owls (found some, didn't get a good angle for any photos though) and something heavy started coming through the brush out to the lake. So I sat down in the sand (and dead fish), turned my camera on, and waited (and waited and waited and waited). After a minute or so of seeing the bushes rattle around a very large snapping turtle came out. He sat there and was very patient with me.

Long story short, the Quantaray lens works nicely from 1x to 12x zoom on larger subjects anyway. I'm glad I had it with me because I ended up getting some shots that would have likely cost me my fingers with just the macro mode on my camera...lol. I was kinda sitting funny when I took that dragonfly one this morning because I was trying to keep my shadow from going over it and to keep it from flying away, so I couldn't see the LCD head-on and it was mostly a guess as to whether it was focused or not.

I'll post some of the turtle photos in a seperate thread later on this evening once I get them on my computer.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6

jrh312 wrote:
Quote:
I got a good impromptu "better learn to use this fast" lesson tonight with that lens...lol. ....
... Long story short, the Quantaray lens works nicely from 1x to 12x zoom on larger subjects anyway.

I'll post some of the turtle photos in a seperate thread later on this evening once I get them on my computer.
jrh,

I think what you will find is that Fred and a number of other posters on this site are pretty good at this macro stuff. It's a ton of fun, but, it takes time and the right equipment to get good results. spend the money on a good quality lens like Fred has recommended. Get a step ring from a camera shop or on line.

Then just keep taking shots. Lots of them, of anything that you can find that will hold still. Using a maco lens on a turtle, "a very large" one at that does not sound a lot like maco photography. When you start getting good focus and detail on small stuff 1/2" and smaller you will be hooked big time. Stick with it I hope you come to love it.:-)

Please don't take our suggestions the wrong way, we are only tryng to point you in a direction that will get you there quicker.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:41 PM   #7

I know you're trying to help...that's why I asked in the first place, so I'm not offended by anyone's suggestions...lol.

I still have the 4t and I'm going to order a step ring. And I have 30 days to return that Quantaray lens, so when I can try them side by side and see which one works better, then I'll decide (although with the amount of people here using the Nikon series lenses I'm not expecting it to be much of a contest).

The turtle pics are posted by the way
Old May 27, 2005, 6:11 PM   #8

I finally found a step ring and ordered it today. It should be in by Thursday or Friday of next week, and I've already returned the Quantaray filter. Now it's just a long wait to put up with, but I've got a weekend full of waterfalls ahead of me so macro will probably be in the very back of my mind anyway :-)
Old May 27, 2005, 10:38 PM   #9

noe "various distances"... these close-up lenses have a definite focal distance. with my 6T, for instance, in macro mode, i have to bebetween 12" and 14" of the subject. within that range, though, i can use the full 36-430mm zoom capability of my FZ20. you should be able to do the same thing with the Quantaray, unless something's not set up right. are you shooting in macro mode? sometimes with these close-up lenses, it's better to use manual focus, lock in on your subject, and then move the camera ever so slightly closer or farther away till the object is clear.

as Fred mentioned, the Nikon lenses are exceptionally good quality, dual-element lenses (not single element like a lot of the cheaper ones), and havnig used both, i can heartily agree. the Nikons don't cost all that much in the grand scheme of things, buy one once and you're set for years. i've enjoyed my 6T immensely, and i'm still a rookie at this macro stuff...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote