Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 26, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1

So... about 1 week with the fz20 and i discovered as today:
the af system is not as good as i tought. Doing side-by-side comparisons with both my oly d460z and the fz20, the oly got focus 9 out of 10 pictures, when the fz only got 4 or 5 (both cameras at iso 100, standing still on a table focusing diferrent things, ois turned off).
It eats battery! with the oly i could get 160 pictures with flash. With the fz, i got 100 and the battery run out. Also, in the oly you can turn off the lcd but leave the camera on, ready to shoot... on the fz, is all on or all off, with the lag of turning it on and the battery draining when you have it on and not taking a picture but waiting for "the moment".

The question is... i want to protect the leica lens.
I have 55mm filters from my reflex cam.
If i can get an adapter like the yoshida with 55mm end, will i get vignetting with the lens in wide angle?
an adapter like this:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...s/Yoshida.html
or is better to use an 72 to 58 or 62mm?
thanks in advance

Picture: only resized, 2nd panning picture i tried.
Attached Images

ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 8:12 AM   #2

ltcdata wrote:
Quote:
So... about 1 week with the fz20 and i discovered as today:
the af system is not as good as i tought. Doing side-by-side comparisons with both my oly d460z and the fz20, the oly got focus 9 out of 10 pictures, when the fz only got 4 or 5 (both cameras at iso 100, standing still on a table focusing diferrent things, ois turned off).
Main question on this is what mode were you using for focus. Using spot focus will give consistent results, nine point and the others can lead to focusing on other than what you may want.

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:29 AM   #3

spot focus, center metering, the same as my oly.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:17 AM   #4

why the free sarcasm?
i like the fz20 A LOT (with only one week of use), but it dissapointed me a little on those things.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Administrator

I'm not sure the photo is out of focus. Based on a quick examination of the image, I think the focus point probably is the rider.

IOW, I think you're seeing motion blur from shutter speeds being too slow. Of course, if you want to pan so you're blurring the background to give the impact of motion, then you can't go too fast with shutter speedseither. You'll need to have a compromise (fast enough to freeze the rider when panning, but slow enough so that the background is still blurred).

The software you used to downsize your photo stripped the EXIF (a header that contains camera settings used). So, I can't tell what your shutter speed was.

You may want to downsize the photo using software that doesn't destroy the EXIF, so that others can see the camera settings you used.

If you don't have an editor that can retain this information, you can download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (make sure to download the free plugins too).

After loading the image, you'll see the option to resize it under Image, Resize/Resample. When you use the "Save As" option after resizing it, you'll see a JPEG Quality box come up that has check boxes for retaining the original IPTC/EXIF information. They should already be checked by default.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 11:43 AM   #6

I have 2 reflex cameras (a nikon N50 and a Nikon FE with various accesories). I also develop my own black and white pictures, i have all the equipment. Mi father used to be an amateur photographer since his 20's years (he is 60 now). I'm 25 and i'm into photography since my 15 years.
I used a lot of digicams from my friends (including digital slrs like the nikon D100, etc), and i think i have a little experience to say that with the 200 pictures i have taken with the fz20, that it is a little under average on those things.
I have used, for example, a coolpix 8800, and a oly C770 of a friend of mine, and they have better focusing systems that the fz20 (for me).
But putting all the things together, the fz20 is a hell of a camera, and i'm keeping it.
I was 5 months reading information, reviews and commentaries until I was decided to buy fz20 knowing its details, its good things and its bad things.

(sorry if my english is a poor)
Old May 27, 2005, 11:46 AM   #7

i'm not talking about that particular photo. That was my 2nd try with panning.
it's not perfect, but i uploaded it only to show something taken with my new camera
I will upload macro and tele pictures later, i didn't have the time to do it.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure the photo is out of focus. Based on a quick examination of the image, I think the focus point probably is the rider.
Old May 27, 2005, 6:11 PM   #8

i didn't say thath the oly 770 focused faster. I said "better".
2: i have experience with non-reflex digicams (as i said before), and i had no problem with the cameras i listed.
Because the camera has too many good independent reviews, and for its characteristics, i bought it.
so, i'm not a newbie, and your answers still seems rude to me.
And you are mis-interpreting me. I readed in some reviews (i think it was in dcresource) that the focus in low light (indoors) sometimes hunts, and that is what i mean to say in my first message.
Old May 29, 2005, 5:32 PM   #10

I don't know about FZ20 but today I went out and took 480 shots on my FZ5 starting with a newly charged battery and was able to shoot all them and with battery life just about at half mark! Of course I was not using flash and I rarely use the lcd except checking up on settings menu when I need to....
Does the flash use up so much battery power so as to allow only about third of the pics I took?
Eother FZ5 battery lasts a lot longer or I don't understand this properly????
(I am a sort of newbie still....)
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote