Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 26, 2005, 11:13 PM   #1

I just wanted to share my thoughts. Since I am about to buy FZ15 or FZ20, I was watching closely the prices for both cameras on pricegrabber for the last 2 weeks. It's strange that FZ15 is not available [email protected] BH, Buydig, BeachCamera etc, whereas two weeks ago they had it in stock. Also, I read a posting where a guy wrote that many retail stores do not offer FZ20 anymore, which could mean that Pana is up for something new.

Any thoughts?
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2

How many photo oppertunities are you wasting waiting for the next best latest and greatest? Don't get me wrong, Buy what you want when you want. Just because they aren't in stock everywhere doesn't mean they are on the way out. Sometimes it takes a while to replentish the supply. Retailers were back order status on the Sunpak 383 (a VERY popular flash) for at least a month. To the point where people were paying (or one that I saw anyway) over $100 for a used flash that costs $70 new.

1ยข

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:07 AM   #3

I thought about waiting for the replacement too, however...

if the replacement does come it's likely to be August time before it is widely available, which menas it will be at least Sep/Oct before there are any real reviews of the camera to compare. It's not worth the wait!

I went for the FZ20 a couple of weeks back and certainly don't regret it!#

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 6:04 PM   #4

Anything technological nowadays is almost pointless waiting around for the next best model/upgrade etc etc. because this technology moves so fast, whenever you buy your new model, whether it be at the very release of it, or a few months after, something improved is gonna come along pretty soon after. So when you find something you're happy with, be it a digital camera, computer, tv, or whatever, buy it while you can! You might as well, you're gonna have it when you want it, and once you have it and find you're happy with it, i doubt you'll be thinking at all about what else is coming out (unless you're very rich) for at least another year.
Good luck with it :-)
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5

The other things is - to me at least, technology seems to have plateaued in digicams. There hasn't been any real innovation for a few years. They'll do what, bump it up to 6 megapixels? Really won't do too much for image quality. A few more bells and whistles? Tweak this a bit, or tweak that? Sometimes they even take stuff away (audio capture...) All the FZs are still relevant cameras, and the heart of the camera - the log zoom lens with image stabilization, and Venus engine, has been pretty much the same since 2003 with the FZ-1. And all digicams are pretty much alike, quite frankly. The FZ gives you the zoom, very good optics, and a fast response time. You'll pay top dollar to get the latest and greatest if a new model comes out, but I expect there won't really be a dime's worth of difference.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6

Guys,

i think you switched the topic. IF you read carefully, I never said I was going to wait for a new model. I go back to the Europe this summer, so I am taking an FZ with me. I was just curious if someoneknew something. That's it.
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:45 AM   #7

djredhat wrote:
Quote:
Guys,

i think you switched the topic. IF you read carefully, I never said I was going to wait for a new model. I go back to the Europe this summer, so I am taking an FZ with me. I was just curious if someone knew something. That's it.
I don't think any of us switched the topic.. Not as I read it anyway.. You asked for thoughts and that's what you got.. Even though you plan to buy the FZ15 or FZ20, you seem (to me) to be waiting for a new release announcement so the price of the current models will drop.. I'll ask again, How many photo opertunities are you missing by waiting? Now I'll add, How much do you really think you are going to save? Remember that when people want them and there aren't enough to satisfy the demand, the price goes UP.. Look a couple months back when the Black ones were $50 more than the silver ones... I think our point was, if you are ready to buy the camera just do it... You might want to do it more than a day before you leave for europe. The chance DOES exist that you won't like it.

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 4:16 AM   #8

I second that!

woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:08 AM   #9

i 3rd :G, your opening statement's read as if you want to buy the FZ but not if a new model is about to be released. I agree with Nick theres not been a really big improvement over the FZ's life span .I would love to see 18 or 24x's zoom
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 5:08 PM   #10

Her in Singapore, The FZ-20 was only introduced in April and it costs SGD$1099 at the megashops, translated to USD $678.00.

I do not know about the US/Europe markets, but if I were you, I would go for either one. It only depends on what you want out of the camera.

Personally, I am in your shoes, as I am also looking at both. In Singapore, we will be having our PC show on the 2nd of June and I hope to see the canon S2IS before I make my decision.

cheers....

felixtan is offline   Reply With Quote