Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 27, 2005, 7:37 AM   #1
pnx

Can anybody help on this one. I'm after buying a nikon close up lens off ebay.

I;ve noticed some have the letter "c" after the words close up and some don't

are they both genuine?
pnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 10:34 AM   #2

Can you give a link to the lens in question?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 12:17 PM   #3
pnx

fmoore, this is the one with the letter "c".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1
Old May 27, 2005, 1:31 PM   #4

I have a nikon 3t (+1.5 diopter) and it has that c on it and it is a true 3t. So I guess w/ or w/o the c makes no difference.
Old May 27, 2005, 1:48 PM   #5
pnx

fmoore, many thanks for your reply.
Old May 27, 2005, 4:34 PM   #6

i'd question the authenticity of that lens. i have a nikon 6T, and there's no "c" after the "close-up". in addition, as you can see in the photo (not a good one, i know. handlheld at 1/2 second, so it's a bit fuzzy...) the Nikon name on mine is in the standard Nikon trademarkfont, and the text is painted, not stamped. i got mine from B&H Photo, with original Nikon packaging, so i know it's legit...
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:16 AM   #7

I have seen the "C" variety posted on ebay from time to time - it's possible that they are just an older version of the nikon lenses? Perhaps some members who have owned these lenses for quite a while could comment?

Fred . . . yours is obviously high quality as evident by the macros shots you take - how old is your lens?
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 9:31 AM   #8

I recently got the 3t on ebay as part of a used close-up set including a Nikon No 1, No 2, and No 3T. Were they orignally sold as a set? I don't know. They seem to be legitimate Nikon lens with Nikon, etc painted on the side. They came in indivdual seemingly legitimate Nikon boxes each with a Nikon case. The paper work with the 3T refers to the 3T (and the 4T as well) as a chromatic lens. That could be the source of the "c". Dual element lens are often referred to as achromatic lens. Does this mean that the Nikon 3t with a "c" after close-up is a single element lens? The one I have seems to be dual element. The glass is much thicker and it is noticeably heavier than either the No 1 or No 2 which as expected are single element and not near the quality of the 3T. The shots I've taken show no softness towards the edges but at only 1.5 diopter this softness would not be as severe as with a +3 diopter lens. All in all I'm happy with the 3t I have with the "c". Whether chromatic or achromatic, it seems to have two elements and shows no soft focus at the edges.