Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 28, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1
RLH

I currently have a Canon A80 and enjoy it. I'm now looking for somethingwith good zoom capabilities. After reading about Panasonics I've narrowed my choice between these two. Any comments about either would be appreciated.

I do have a question, do either or both have a tri-pod mount. I can't remember reading anything about this feature.

Thanks for your time and help.

Rick

RLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 3:40 PM   #2

Both have tripod mounts.
FZ5 is smaller, has no manual focus or hot-shoe for aftermarket flash, as FZ20 does. FZ5 has faster auto-focus.

Read the reviews on both here at Steve's and elsewhere.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:29 PM   #3

Hello.

I'm a beginner in photography but I just wanted to share why I, after a long period of contemplation, chose the FZ20 over the FZ5, which by the way I have no experience of. The FZ20 is a little more expensive but has a few nifty things.

First of all it is very durable, which is why it's also heavier than the FZ5. I wanted a camera that could take some knocks. The hot shoe is also nice and came in handy right away since my father gave me a Sunpak flash from 1976 (whoa!) that he no longer needed. It works perfectly, and an external flash is great for indoor shots, producing no red eyes. And the manual focus feature is good, especially in low light. Manual focus also enables you to shoot faster since you can keep your subject prefocused. The FZ20 can maintain an aperture of 2.8 through the whole zoom range, so you can get more light into your shots when going telephoto. The shutter button placement, however, seems to be better in the FZ5, but it's not really an issue.

So I'd still go for the FZ20. Of course if you want something more compact, the FZ5 is surely an excellent choice as well, since apparently the photo quality is pretty much the same. Hope this helps.

-Tuure
tuure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:42 PM   #4

tuure wrote:
Quote:
Hello.
The hot shoe is also nice and came in handy right away since my father gave me a Sunpak flash from 1976 (whoa!) that he no longer needed.
Be careful with that old flash from 1976. Make sure you measure the trigger voltage. If it's more than 24 volts, you could seriously damage your FZ20. I have an old Vivitar 283 from the late 1970's and its trigger voltage is above 250 volts.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:48 PM   #5
RLH

Thanks for the replies! I believe I'll get the FZ20 it seems to be favored the most and only a few dollars more.

Rick
RLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 6:47 AM   #6

Hi propwash.

I too was a little concerned when I decided to try out the old flash, but I've taken quite a few pictures with it and everything seems to be ok. I have no idea about the trigger voltage of the flash, since the manual's missing, and I don't know how to measure it.

-Tuure
Old May 29, 2005, 11:59 AM   #7

The manual won't give the trigger voltage for the flash. Here's how you can measure it for yourself. Take the flash off the camera and charge it up until the ready light is glowing. Use a multi-meter (a volt/ohm meter available at Radio Shack, or any electronic repair store will have one) and put the probes from the meter on the two contacts on the flash's hot shoe. one contact will be right in the middle of the bottom of the shoe. The other one will be on the side of the shoe, where it slides into the groove on the camera's shoe. If you don't have a meter, I think that any electronic repair shop will be able to make the measuerment for you. It takes about ten seconds, and they should be able to do it while you wait. Good luck. I'd hate to see you fry your FZ with too high a voltage from your flash.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 12:42 PM   #8

Thanks propwash. I couldn't find any info on the voltage on any website, so I'll take my camera to a shop and have them figure it out. Better safe than sorry.

-Tuure