Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 29, 2005, 2:49 PM   #11

The 2X power is what first got me to do a little research on the 2020PRO but it was rejected due to the CA and vignetting even at full zoom. After closely looking at a good selection of pictures from various teleconverters, I finally settled for the Tcon 14B. I know it's only 1.45X but to my eyes its the sharpest and cleanest lens of the bunch, excluding the top of the line$500.00 Pana LTZ10.

JM2C.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 3:03 PM   #12

Thanks, the 2X was what got me also but it is no good if the picture is not sharp.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:16 AM   #13

The focus looks bad as you leave the center. Did you look the lens over good to see if someone dropped it?

I have readmuch about the 14b being the best of the bunch excluding the pana 1.5x lens. I use the pana, but the 14b is big and heavy like it and Ilike the extra weight.It helps me steady the lens.Plus 18xmeets my needs.

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:58 PM   #14

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I can not get a sharp clear picture. The focus is very soft and away from the center the picture gets more and more blurry. I tried shots hand held, with a tripod, P mode and S mode and nothing seems to work. Here are some test shots I made to compare the 2020 with the C-210 and another cheap 1.5X tele I have. I was shooting from 40 feet, using a tripod using the 10 second timer and in P mode.
If I am doing something wrong please tell me otherwise I am going to I return the lens.
All shots have been cropped to 100% with no additional processing.
This first shot is with the 2020 pro.
Someone on Smugmug has done a comparison ofFZ10 tele shots with different lenses. Thoes shot are not as bad as your but do show problems.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/543892/3/22435329The last three are DCR2020
bumbiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 7:04 PM   #15

I think the subject you are trying to focus on is too close at 40 feet. According to http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
the hyperfocal distance for 12x (actual focal length 72mm) is 96.8 feet, and adding a teleconverter would make it even more than that. At 96.8 feet, the near focus is about 1/2 the HD, that is, about 48.4 feet.
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 7:12 PM   #16

Thanks, but I tried other distances with the same results.
Old May 30, 2005, 7:53 PM   #17

ianperegian wrote:
Quote:
I think the subject you are trying to focus on is too close at 40 feet. According to http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
the hyperfocal distance for 12x (actual focal length 72mm) is 96.8 feet, and adding a teleconverter would make it even more than that. At 96.8 feet, the near focus is about 1/2 the HD, that is, about 48.4 feet.
Ian
That's fine if you're trying for hyperfocal. Everything from 1/2 the HD to infinity should be in focus.

If you don't care if the background is blurred, you can focus much closer. The FZ20 ought to be able to focus on objects as close as two meters (about six feet) at 12x zoom.
Ty_Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 3:42 AM   #18

Ty_Bower wrote:
Quote:
ianperegian wrote:
Quote:
Ian
That's fine if you're trying for hyperfocal. Everything from 1/2 the HD to infinity should be in focus.

If you don't care if the background is blurred, you can focus much closer. The FZ20 ought to be able to focus on objects as close as two meters (about six feet) at 12x zoom.
Yes, that's right, but if you are comparing different lenses at the same subject distance of 40 ft then the differences in depth of field I think will affect the apparent sharpness of parts of the images. The 12x plus 2x teleconverter will have a much smaller DOF than 12x zoom without added lenses, and so it will tend to look less sharp away from the actual focus point. At 40 ft and f2.8 the DOF is only about 3 feet with 12x zoom plus 2x Raynox (144mm effective focal length).
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:00 PM   #19

You may have received a defective product. I use the Raynox 2020 and am quite happy with its performance. Perhaps my standards are just lower but it does seem to be sharp and crisp. Hope you do well with your next lens. Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 3:24 PM   #20

bob ingman wrote:
Quote:
You may have received a defective product. I use the Raynox 2020 and am quite happy with its performance. Perhaps my standards are just lower but it does seem to be sharp and crisp. Hope you do well with your next lens. Bob
Thanks Bob, I have read many reports of people happy with this lens that's why I bought it. I truly wish it had worked for me it is a beautiful lens.