Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 28, 2005, 6:03 PM   #1

Hi all!

I took this picture today with my FZ20. The manual says that the minimun distance for macro shots is 5 cm / 2 in. at telephoto. However, I definitely held the lens closer to the flower than five centimetres. The flower's a little less than 2 inches in diameter and it was touching the glass, as you can see from the lower right section of the picture. What does the minimun discance of 5 centimeters actually mean, then?

Curiuosly, for this I was using manual, not macro mode. I can't actually tell the difference between these two modes, except that manual mode gives you more control over shutter speed and aperture. To me at least the center portion of the flower doesn't seem out of focus or anything (the contrast has been enhanced later but not the sharpness). I'm really happy with the camera performance but this just makes me wonder a little

-Tuure from Finland:?:
Attached Images

tuure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

tuure wrote:
Quote:
I was using manual, not macro mode. I can't actually tell the difference between these two modes, except that manual mode gives you more control over shutter speed and aperture.
There is no difference. A, S, or M mode give the same macro capabilty as macro mode with all the fz series cameras. (fz1/2 doesnt have M)
You can focus closer than 5cm with all the fz series. I dont know where they got that 5cm from.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 10:07 PM   #3

:?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 4:18 AM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
You can focus closer than 5cm with all the fz series. I dont know where they got that 5cm from.
It might be the distance to the primary principal plane of the lens - not much use in practice when taking pictures!

arrow
arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 6:52 AM   #5

Yeah, I was also thinking that maybe it's the distance to one of the internal lenses or the CCD, not the main lens. Thanks for the replies.

-Tuure
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:55 AM   #6

i've seen other cameras quote that the minimum distance is to the ccd/cmos sensor itself, i believe in the slr world its standard to quote minimum distance as being to the film so this would just be in keeping with that. also makes the most sense...the sensor/film is where the image is focused, so it makes sense to measure minimum focus distance from that point.
pelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:18 AM   #7

tuure wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!

I took this picture today with my FZ20. The manual says that the minimun distance for macro shots is 5 cm / 2 in. at telephoto. However, I definitely held the lens closer to the flower than five centimetres. The flower's a little less than 2 inches in diameter and it was touching the glass, as you can see from the lower right section of the picture. What does the minimun discance of 5 centimeters actually mean, then?

Curiuosly, for this I was using manual, not macro mode. I can't actually tell the difference between these two modes, except that manual mode gives you more control over shutter speed and aperture. To me at least the center portion of the flower doesn't seem out of focus or anything (the contrast has been enhanced later but not the sharpness). I'm really happy with the camera performance but this just makes me wonder a little

-Tuure from Finland:?
I belive this picture isslightly OOF. If you are happy with the results then that is all that matters.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:28 PM   #8

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
[b]I belive this picture is slightly OOF. If you are happy with the results then that is all that matters.

Yes, you're right. The picture is partially out of focus but the very center is not. This is due to the very narrow depth of field I used.

-Tuure
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:34 PM   #9

Hmm...This is very interesting discussion. But as many are speculating thatit may be from the CMOS Sensor...then how can this be possible "Canon qoutes that the S2IS camera has 0cm macro mode..." how is it possible if it is from sensor??

Arun
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:46 PM   #10

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
Hmm...This is very interesting discussion. But as many are speculating that it may be from the CMOS Sensor...then how can this be possible "Canon qoutes that the S2IS camera has 0cm macro mode..." how is it possible if it is from sensor??

Arun
Oh, you know how those marketing types are ! :? They're probably talking distance to the glass :roll:
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote