Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 29, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

I want to use my FZ 20 for football this year and I will be shooting from the stands. I am looking at getting a teleconverter. I am trying to decide on weather I need to buy a teleconverter or not. I have been told that if I do buy one I need to go with a good one. When trying to shoot action shots and some stills from the stands without a tripod do I really need a teleconverter. I also have kids that play the outfield so I have a long shot there also. Will I be disappointed if I only get one that is a 1.45 or should I go higher or not at all and just crop? I understand that if I go too high I will loose a lot of quality. What do you all think about getting one or not for what I am looking on using it for. :|
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 6:26 PM   #2

Your FZ20 has a really good zoom, so you may not need it. Why not determine (guess) what distance you are going to be shooting and then shoot a person at this distance. If the picture meets your standards, then go without the teleconverter.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 12:11 AM   #3

RP 33 said, "I want to use FZ 20 for football this year"

The FZ 20 makes for a lousy football. A football is better for football.

Sorry,....couldn`t resist. :G
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:07 AM   #4

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I want to use my FZ 20 for football this year and I will be shooting from the stands. I am looking at getting a teleconverter. I am trying to decide on weather I need to buy a teleconverter or not. I have been told that if I do buy one I need to go with a good one. When trying to shoot action shots and some stills from the stands without a tripod do I really need a teleconverter. I also have kids that play the outfield so I have a long shot there also. Will I be disappointed if I only get one that is a 1.45 or should I go higher or not at all and just crop? I understand that if I go too high I will loose a lot of quality. What do you all think about getting one or not for what I am looking on using it for.
RP33, I shoot sports 90% of the time. A teleconversion lens really helps me especially when printing 8 x 10 photos. Cropping the photofrom my FZ10 really shows the noise. When I use the teleconversion lens I can get full frame shots.

You are correct about getting a good quality lens. Buy the best you can afford if you plan to keep the camera. A 1.45 to 1.5 will give the clearest shots. It will also keep you between 9x and 18x zoom. If you go to a 2.0 lens, the zoom range is 12x to 24x.Pick the magnification value you need.Any teleconversion lens you add will soften things a bit.

I found I was always looking for a little more than 12x soIadded a 1.5 teleconverter lens and it works well for my needs. By the way, I hope your football is played in the daylight. If they are Friday night games, like high school, you will have a problem trying to freeze the action in the low light.

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:31 AM   #5

Quick answer is yes you'll want a teleconverter. (I'm using the FZ10 4MP but 'close enough' I think.)

I bought a 14B specifically for this (and 'hunting' animals.) I'm shooting from the sidelines and almost wish I had a little more, so shooting from the stands you will probably want the 17B IMHO. Keep in mind that even in good sun you won't want to zoom too closely to the action or you're likely to miss it; that means you will be cropping (unless you're just really a pro at following the action with your camera. I'm not.) So you definitely need the optical zoom rather than digital.

Below is a pic taken with the 14B from the opposite goal line. I'll send another taken from midfield looking across. Not the best pics but I'm strictly amateur and while I have better, these show approximately what you will get. I THINK I had both at full zoom, but I'm not sure. I agree that a 'test run' would be helpful and probably more informing.

Attached Images

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:39 AM   #6

Here is the second. Again, I must stress these are to give you an idea of the zoom, that's all !

Attached Images

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote