Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2005, 2:17 AM   #1

went for a drive today and got some pics. the first 3 are of the area around Mt. Rainier; the next 3 are the hills around Mt. St. Helens (couldn't get a pic of the volcano or caldera itself, as the viewpoints were all socked in... ). i shot some of the St Helens scenes in black and white, because to me the images still convey a sense of monstrous power and devastation, even 25 years later.besides, the area around St. Helens was under heavy cloud cover, and even my color shots were very subdued and gray...

Rainier from the north side

and again from the east...

a small waterfall on the way...

a stand of dead timber on the road to Windy Ridge, on the northeast side of Mt. St. Helens... those hillsides used to look like the wooded slopes around Mt. Rainier...

a view of the devastated hillsides, once thick with timber. the trees are starting to come back, but the dead still far outnumber the living...

and this i couldn't resist... a stump, clinging desperately to the slope of a ridge where the soil that once nourished the tree has been eroded by the wind and rain and snow of 25 years. with nothing to hold it in place, the soil has slid away, leaving this barren reminder of where the forest floor once was...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 2:54 AM   #2

Squirl, ALL, GORGEOUS PHOTOS!!! Out of the color ones, I really like the waterfall.

I applaud you in your choice B&W for the last thee pics. They are standouts.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 7:25 AM   #3

I really like the last one....very strange!
The North American style of clearing large areas of all trees is quite harrowing to European eyes...it is like a grave yard of trees.
In my native country of birth, Finland (- one of the largest forestry countries in the world-) , they only cut some trees at a time in an area so there never is devastation such as in your pictures. I saw this same practise as in Washington State in British Columbia when I was there many moons ago. While it might be efficient and a great photo opportunity (!) it is sad to see never the less...huge bits of lands just devastated!
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 7:28 AM   #4

oops...apology!
I just realised that you must be referriung to the eruption of Mt Helens in 1978(?)...so that must be why those trees are dead? Sorry about falesely jumping on American forestry practises...but I saw similar scenes in Canada which were man made!

Sorry again! Actually it makes the photos even more interesting as it shows what sometimes happens in natural disasters!
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 7:47 AM   #5

super shots squirl , really like the waterfall as well . The stump really tells the story
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 11:58 AM   #6

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
oops...apology!
I just realised that you must be referriung to the eruption of Mt Helens in 1978(?)...so that must be why those trees are dead? Sorry about falesely jumping on American forestry practises...but I saw similar scenes in Canada which were man made!

Sorry again! Actually it makes the photos even more interesting as it shows what sometimes happens in natural disasters!
we do our share of 'clear-cut' logging here, where every tree in an area is cut, but the timber companies learned long ago to replant those areas immediately. and the timber companies don't leave trees standing like you see in these pictures. i can understand the confusion - some parts of this area almost do look like the loggers went nuts, but they would never leave the cut timber on the ground! this devastation was caused by St. Helens' eruption in 1980, which released more energy than 10,000 of the bombs dropped on Hiroshima, and killed 57 people.

i was on the wrong side of the mountain, and the cloud cover was too thick, to really photograph the true scope of the disaster. what you see here is just a small hint...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote