Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2005, 6:01 PM   #1

Finally saw a dragonfly , little shocked to have the opertunity .Somewhat disappointed in the home made lens DOF

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 6:47 PM   #2

Looks pretty good for a home made lens to me. I don't know if I will ever get close enough to one to get a picture. I must look like I am going to eat them.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 9:12 PM   #3

thanks for the input .I waswondering to myself how fmoore , squirl , mag ,willow etc... get close to these critters:lol: .I tried several times before these 2 , just kept flying away .I was actually headed out of the area and he flew buy and stuck here as i crept upso i took about 10 :G.I Have a small tripod that has 3 legs that will extend up to 48inches yet fits in my back pocket.I used the tpod in 1 hand with the legs all close together for about a 2 foot reach and the remote in the other .Actually worked well for me :?
Old May 31, 2005, 1:41 AM   #4

nothing to be disappointed in with these pics, Pappy... DOF is always gonna be a little shallow with a macro lens. the clarity on these is excellent, and the exposure is right on. nice job!

i've only seen one dragonfly so far this year, and he was several yards away from me ina marsh, no way to even come close. i'm hoping i can find one resting on a branch somewhere before the summer's out, so i can joing the 'dragonfly-picture-takers' club! :lol:
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 6:57 AM   #5

thanks squirl this was a pretty big one , i see your point on DOF . These had no editing only resizing , i was very happy with the clarity and exposure .

Really love this camera :|
Old May 31, 2005, 7:57 AM   #6

On my LCD notebook these shots look great, homemade macro lens or not.
I SEE fine wing detail.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:19 AM   #7

Pappy!
These pictures are absolutly good looking.
You shouldn't have to be disappointed about your home made macro. I watched your pics exif data and with A: F4 ( macro mode ? )on the wide angle ( ok , that the less the zoom the bigger the DOF ) these DOF is absolutly normal. There is very hard to keep in focus the head (the eyes) and the wings from this in front view perspective.
I can't see any purple fringing on these which is surprised me knowing it's a home made lens. Good work!:G
I like the lightning on these ( sunlight rules!).
Bali
Ps: What dioptre is this lens (working distance?)?
Keep it up!
callmebali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 11:42 AM   #8

thanks Boyzo and Bali , i was about8 inches away on these :Gwhich is about themaximum i can be from the target . If i get closer i can really zoom in and fill the whole frame .So the smaller the subject the more detail i can get when i zoom .Its kind of a weird lens but i can get good results sometimes . Im suprised he didnt fly off