Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 31, 2005, 12:07 AM   #1

Hi. The other day I had a late lunch with my parents in the tiny fishing village of Mayport, Fl. It is located at the mouth of the St. Johns River......The St. Johns River is one of the few rivers in the world that flows north. It is very narrow at it's mouth but has a very deep channel. I had trouble with the lighting so I went back several times.....The shrimp boats were in...as the fishermen told me that shrimping wasn't very good right now. Please feel free to comment.....as I learn best from mistakes. The first picture is called "Sea King" bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2

This next one is called "Miss Rosa" as she was coming home.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3

Here's a tug boat moving at a good speed.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:30 AM   #4

I can't comment on composition, lighting etc. but I can say they are nice pictures to look at. And, to me, that's the most important part.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 1:30 AM   #5

nice photos of life along the river. do you have a polarizing filter? if not, you might want to invest in one. it will make the sky a deeper blue, which will really stand out in shots like these, and will also help reduce the glare and reflection from water. and it'll improve color saturation and contrast. i don't recall if you have an adapter for your camera or not, but if you need some info, PM me, i'll be glad to share what i've learned on the subject!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 7:10 PM   #6

Here is a Redfish I caught while prefishing for the FLW Pro Redfish event out of Mayport last month

onthespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 11:39 PM   #7

#2 is the best shot of the three. Composition is right on. The placement of the boat in reference to the dock is excellent as you employed the "Rule of thirds" and it works marvelously.

I also like #1 the colors are great but not as nicely composed as #2

#3 suffers because you cut the stern off. In a profile shotof this typeit's better to show the whole boat, and rightly so as you have done, leave space forward of the bow for a boat in motion.

Hope this helps. Just one mans opinion

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:03 AM   #8

I really appreciate you all taking the time to make those suggestions. Hiroshi, you are definitely right about the stern of the tug.....He was really moving at a fast clip and I was trying to show it. I failed........but I'll go out and try again. I was having trouble with the composition of the three shrimp boats together. I kept moving all around and finally decided on what I took. I really liked the way they looked together......Any suggestions? Again I'll try all the helpful hints and I appreciate your time. bentleysmom PS. Mayport is going to loose these shrimp boat docksin a couple of years with some condo developers coming in......bummer! It's a super fishing town.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:34 PM   #9

I didn't mean to hi-jack your tread. I just get exited when talking about Mayport. It is an awsome fishery with a ton of photo oppertunitys. I have never taken my FZ20 in the boat with me while I've been up there. I tend to destroy everting I up in the boat.
onthespot is offline   Reply With Quote