Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 31, 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 38
Default

While the FZ5 is a decent camera made by a very reputable company, I for one feel it will be a matter of short time before the S2 finally overtakes the top spot. I'm somewhat befuddled by how some people are already complaining about the S2. What do you guys expect, a prosumer quality camera at amateur quality price?Get real. If anything, it can do some things better than the FZ5, particularly in the noise range, speed and general overall accuracy of true to life colors. I rarely had to rely on using a tripod. The S2 is precise.

On another note, I've been noticing that prices have dropped to some degree for the FZ5. I don't foresee this happening with the S2 in any near future(FWIW, the S1's price remained steady for quite some time, and so I don't expect the S2 to drop quick). What can I say, Canon has won me over?

Canon has the upper hand now. Let's see if Panasonic will respond (FZ6?).



Cheers.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trooplewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 578
Default

That was an interesting first post. You would have been somewhat less obvious if you had posted earlier about your acquistion of the FZ5, maybe even showed us a picture or 2 taken with it.

Quote:
I'm somewhat befuddled by how some people are already complaining about the S2.
Nobody here cares. This is a Panasonic forum.

As it is, your first post should have been on the Canon Forum.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 11:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Charlie46227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 295
Default

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
That was an interesting first post. You would have been somewhat less obvious if you had posted earlier about your acquistion of the FZ5, maybe even showus a picture or 2 of it.

As it is, your first post should have been on the Canon Forum.
He he. Check the initial 'disappointing' comments on the Canon forum and you may understand why he came here first!
I'd rather see some controlled test pics as mentioned earlier on this forum to make a more informed decision, but the 'man on the street' first impressions aren't looking as promising as some had hoped.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
rcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 117
Default

Think he is a Canon guy who never owned an FZ5 and is just here to ruffle some feathers? :P
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jsiladi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 587
Default

rcci wrote:
Quote:
Think he is a Canon guy who never owned an FZ5 and is just here to ruffle some feathers? :P
If so, he probably came to the wrong place.. Feathers don't seem to get ruffled easily here.. Before bashing the Canon I decided to at least have a look at the specs..

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=11368

It looks like a nice camera but with a 1/2.5" 5Mp sensor, I highly doubt that the image quality is going to knock panasonic off of the shelf. Slightly slower lens than the FZ cameras at the 12x end, same focal range as the FZ20. Admittedly it has some features that would be nice to have but why they didn't include the (what I would consider) two nicest features they could have (B and RAW) is beyond me. Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any provision for an external flash, either in thier photos or in the spec. Very cool features though, for those who care, Stereo sound on the video, Zoom on the video, swivel LCD, etc.. None of which I care about but for some people it'll add to the fun factor.

Not ready to give up my FZ20 just yet.

Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Charlie46227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 295
Default

As many have said before, I'd LOVE to have the swivel. Could care less about the video as I have a camcorder for that ! I was tempted to sell my FZ10 for the 20, but decided to wait for Pana to add a swivel to the FZ20 and have a 'gain up' for low light. Since this is all jus 'fun' for me, I can't justify buying new every time they introduce another model. Realistically,my next camera will probably be a DSLRa few years from now. It'll take me that long to learn the basics of photography anyway !



jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
rcci wrote:
Quote:
Think he is a Canon guy who never owned an FZ5 and is just here to ruffle some feathers? :P
If so, he probably came to the wrong place.. Feathers don't seem to get ruffled easily here.. Before bashing the Canon I decided to at least have a look at the specs..

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11368

It looks like a nice camera but with a 1/2.5" 5Mp sensor, I highly doubt that the image quality is going to knock panasonic off of the shelf. Slightly slower lens than the FZ cameras at the 12x end, same focal range as the FZ20. Admittedly it has some features that would be nice to have but why they didn't include the (what I would consider) two nicest features they could have (B and RAW) is beyond me. Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any provision for an external flash, either in thier photos or in the spec. Very cool features though, for those who care, Stereo sound on the video, Zoom on the video, swivel LCD, etc.. None of which I care about but for some people it'll add to the fun factor.

Not ready to give up my FZ20 just yet.

Jeff

:G
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,249
Default

"I didn't want to do it, but I returned my FZ5 for the S2"

...to which I say, "who gives a sh*t?"
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,535
Default

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
"I didn't want to do it, but I returned my FZ5 for the S2"

...to which I say, "who gives a sh*t?"
LOL !!!!


:blah:

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 228
Default

You couldn't give me another Canon Ultrazoom. The S1 is/was a total piece ofjunk. After owning Olympus and Sony digital cameras for years, S1was my first Canon digital camera purchase. To be even more blunt blunt, this camera has the worst/bumbling/most annoying/incompetent autofoucus problems of any digital camera that I have ever had. I have three different Olympus ultra zooms that have never had any problems focusing, yet this Canon camera hunted and pecked and sometimes refused to focus - partcularly in low light. (Canon has no focus assist for low light which is an really dumb omission.) Even *more* annoying being unable to focus in low light, is the way the focus gets *totally lost* after a fast zoom too.. another problem I never had with any Olympus Ultra zooms. You have to zoom in and out at a snail-crawl for the darnS1 to have any chance of auto-focusing. *Plus* side by side.. *any* Olympus ultrazoom pics are better exposed and have better color and contrast. The *only* advantage this Canon had was the IS and it uses AAs instead of a proprietary battery.

So I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (and recently a FZ5 for overseas travel :-) and both thesePany cameras simply blow the Canon S1 out of the water. The colors are vividly better. The focus is lightening fast even in low light and after any speed zoom. The zoom is 12X vs 10X . I have both the Panys and the Canon, and the Canon is a piece of finicky, aggravating ***junk***. Honestly,the S1 wasmost the ***annoying *** digital camera that I have ever owned with having to constantly nurse a woefully inadequate autofocus system along. I wouldn't buy another IS untrazoom from Canon if they paid me to. Not after the crappy S1. If this guy traded an FZ5 for any Canon ultrazoom, then he deserves the piece of crap he probably got.


Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
beernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 293
Default

John Boy:
Attached Images
 
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.