Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:04 AM   #11

only thing that looks promising really is the higher ISO, and only if it's USABLE, i.e not noisy. zoom is no more powerful, and optics no better. and at 600 GBP, it's over a grand in USD - for that' why not get a DSLR?? It's gonna take more than a thousand-dollar prosumer to knock the FZ'z off... Pana still offers the best value for the money in my book!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:17 AM   #12

No OIS, and slower at 420. That'll turn lots of people off. 800 iso? This I gotta' see. Nice wide angle, but I bet the lens distortion is high. But I like the zoom control on the lens. That's a plus. Seems pricey though, when you can buy a DSLR and 2 lenses to cover this focal range for a little more money. Better to buy the DSLR, and a decent 300mm lens.Up in the Great White North, you're talking around $1400. Lately, I've seen deals for the Canon Rebel for $899 with the kit lens (in Canada). With a medium quality 300mm lens, it'd be less than this new digicam. Think I'll stick with the half price Z20 for now.... cheers.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:29 PM   #13

Well, even the new fuji f10 doesn't put itself to shame at iso800, so unless a decent review of the 815 is out, i don't think it would be wise to write it off. If Samsung have managed to wring something out of the sensor, then things might just get interesting in the segment they are targeting this camera at. I for one would be willing to pay for this camera, IS notwithstanding.
mukul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:31 PM   #14

And not to mention the convenience factor of not having to lug around multiple lenses. (Sorry, forgot this point earlier):-)
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:45 PM   #15

If I am gonna carry that heavy camera around, I'm certainly not gonna miss on that tripod.:|
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:33 PM   #16

I think we'll have to wait for the reviews but I would not go for this cam just on ergonomics alone. If Samsung have a good 2/3 sensor with low noise then it could well be a good digicam, but so far I don't think anyone has produced a 2/3 CCD that doesn't have some kind of problems with excessive noise at ISO400. The sensor in the Fuji F10 is a 1/1.7"CCD and these are the only ones that have managed to produce low noise at ISO200 +.

Regards the OIS - why it is not standard on a cam like this I can;t work out at all. Carry a tripod around all the time.. no thanks. I have trouble with cam shake at 3x zoom at low ISO speeds so any new cam (digi or DSLR) that I get is going to need OIS.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:38 PM   #17

What I meant was that if I am going to lug around this cam (and specs say that's it's heavier than a few), then I don't have a problem carrying a tripod along. Of course, IS would've been great, but then again, there isn't a perfect camera, is there?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:51 PM   #18

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:00 PM   #19

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:04 PM   #20

Well nooner you started this post.

What gives man?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote