Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:22 PM   #1

I'm pretty much a newbie. I bought a little Nikon 2100 a year ago, and got really into it...but it was incredibly limited. In december, I got an FZ15, and soonafter, exchanged it for an FZ20. The photos were taken with a mix of the three.

Please feel free to offer any advice or stinging criticism necessary

http://www.homepage.mac.com/dlatu_1983/
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:37 PM   #2

The one that I think is most interesting is the one on the beach with 4 unbrellas. But it suffers, like a couple of the others, from some overexposure. Try using a polarized lens filter in your beach (or any bright outdoor) shots, or scale back the ev to -2/3 or so and shoot in auto-bracket mode to pick out the best exposure.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:54 PM   #3

Thanks I don't really have an eye for exposure or color. I can tell when something's seriously out of line, but I simply don't get the guys on here who say "you're 1/3 stop underexposed" or "your picture has a blue cast to it". They look fine to me. It's only (and sometimes not even then) when I use auto color correct in iPhoto or Photoshop Elements that I can even tell that the sky was greenish, the grass reddish, etc.

Are these things just "picked up" over time? What should I do to improve my eye for color and exposure? And more importantly, what can I do to improve composition? All the correct color and such in the world won't make a poor photo interesting.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:07 AM   #4

Here's something to help with composition.

http://www.camerahobby.com/Ebook-Rul..._Chapter15.htm
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 1:09 AM   #5

Dlatu;
If you use auto bracketing, your will be able to see which of the three photos is overexposed. If you see white or light-colored areas that have no detail in them (the detail is blown out) and the darkest exposure of the 3 has it right, it sort of steers you in the right direction as far as exposure is concerned.

You can't always have the entire photo correct if there is too much of a difference between the darkest and lightest parts of the picture. Good example is the beagle on the left there. Center of her chest is overexposed.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 1:56 AM   #6

Thanks Mtritt, when are we gonna go shooting together? I live just south of Pembroke Pines
Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:20 AM   #7

Dlatu1983 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Mtritt, when are we gonna go shooting together? I live just south of Pembroke Pines
Howdy, neighbor! Shoot time for me is rare these days. There is an observation area at Executive Airport (smaller, private planes) that I've wanted to hit, so maybe in the future we could meet up there sometime. You should get out to the few remaining cow pastures and take some shots so people can see that there were once cows everywhere. You could probably get some nice shots.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:51 PM   #8

Hi Diatu

Do read the FZ10 user guide which is a sticky on the forum, even though its for the FZ10 everything applies to the FZ20/15 as well. There's a lot there but lots of good tips on how to use your cam.

For inspiration check out the galleries at photo.net, smugmug.com and pbase.com. Some of the best FZ20 pics I've seen are here:

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

http://northland.smugmug.com/gallery/409393

Do take lots of picts and ask for critique, like you have - its the only way to learn.

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:07 PM   #9

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
Here's something to help with composition.
It's interesting that you would say this as it looks to me like he already has composition nailed. Even the exposure looks good to me (though technically an argument can be made that some are overexposed and some under).

The things that bother me are the blurred ones (eg second frame) and the surprising flecks of junk on some frames (north west of the elbow in the first frame, right of centre in the third frame). If it were me, I'd look at the second frame, congratulate myself on composition, berate myself for wobbling, and delete it. I'd edit the flecks out of the others.

In short, Mr Dlatu1983, keep up the good work! I'm still trying to figure out how you made the first frame work so well. I see it as a study in body hair, and that's sort of surprising. :-)
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:48 AM   #10

I never said his composition was poor. He specifically asked what he could do to improve composition. Someone may know that one picture feels better than another, but may not know why. The Rule of Thirds solves the mystery. There's also a lot of other helpful information on that website, such as the chapter on perspective.