Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1

Howdy Folks,

Most of us agree that changing the color effect to B&W in the FZ cameras leaves something to be desired as far as tonal quality. I read about a way to do this in Photo Shop using a new layer and the Channel Mixer. Does anyone think this is a better method to obtain a monotone photo ?
Here is the color image.

And here is the Black & White version.What do you think about the tone?
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:20 PM   #2

The B&W looks ok perhaps a little more contrast, I do like the color version tho' even with the small image you can see the ageing on the car, I like this shot I prefer the color version, the Plants growing in front of the RHS of the car look a bit like you know what, shades of the 70's flower power ;-)

ps. there are free actions for color to B&W for PS, actually Picasa does it in one step.

Nice capture ;-)
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:26 PM   #3

Best freebe for black and white is still virtual photographer: http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

Does black and white plus a bunch of different "virtual filters". Great package, outstanding price.

However, the best way to do black and white is a film camera with black and white film... :blah: Sorry, I've been re-discovering the film thing of late. : )
See that nice capture you posted? It literally "begs" for a shallower depth of field. Can't get it with digital.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:13 PM   #4

Thanks John & Nick !

I would love to explore the film B & W thing but the budget won't allow at this time for scanners and special inks & printers and such. I have a 20 plus year old manual Yashica FX-3 that I love. Lenses too. Got an old Microtek Slimscan C3 flatbed scanner. Not sure how good it would work for putting negs into my iMac. But I do like what I see in your posts lately Nick. I agree about the DOF thing.
I will look into the other apps that you mentioned. BTW my wife also prefers the color version of the BelAir!

:|
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

I second Nick's recommendation of Virtual Photographer. And it's free! I used one of the B&W filters for this image. The original was taken in the B&W mode in the FZ20, not converted from color, however.
Attached Images

Dean Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:02 PM   #6

I have also been using Virtual Photographer and it is great. I also use a plug in called Photo-Plugins A/W conversion and in that you can select tonal response from well known films.
Here is one I did today with tonal response set to Ilford Delta:

Attached Images

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:31 PM   #7

Wow! Dean and Jussiak's absolutely have that black and white look! Dean's has the look of a film that was pushed to the max. Cool. Love both of these, gents.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:37 PM   #8

Mediachance has a free black and white conversion program that is decent but not like Virtual Photographer. For a quick and dirty BWorks is a neat program.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:40 AM   #9

Hey folks, thanks for all the info on the monochrome freeware:lol:
Just one glitch, NONE of it is Mac compatable !
Guess I"ll just have to be happy with what I can do in Photo Shop:O

Charles
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:26 AM   #10

Nick; Thanks for your encouraging comment on my pic...as you are the one here who seems really clued on to b/w film stuff, I know i must be on the right track then..............
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote