Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:48 PM   #1

Hi,

I´m looking for a new camera (ultra-zoom). After a lot of hours reading reviews and everithing else, I choose two cameras: Lumix FZ15 and Fuji S5100.

I now that FZ15 is a expensive than Fuji, but it has IS and 12x optical zoom. And has LEICA LENSES!!!!

On the other hand, Fuji S5100 attracts me becasue uses AA batteries.

Considering the pros and consof both, wich one takes better photos? And how about their shutter lag??

Please,i really need toknowyour opinion (and experiences).

Thanks a lot, Ghiggi
Ghiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

If AA batteries are the main thing attracting you to the Fuji, consider this. There are many rechargeable 'knock offs' that are as good or better than the Panasonic brand at a much lower price. Buy an extra set and charge that while you shoot; you should have no problems and they'll last you a LONG time, MUCH more economical than 'throw away' AA batteries. Do a search here on batteries. I think one was mentioned just the other day.
Can't comment on the two cameras as I don't own either nor have I tested either. I DO love my FZ10 though ! :|
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

I was in the same boat that you are in...my two choices were the Fuji S5100 and Minolta Z2, but then after reading I found out about the Lumix series and bought the FZ15. Never been happier!
JessAlba452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:08 AM   #4

I came real close to buying the Fuji but then got to looking more at the FZ15. After some more study, I went with the FZ15. The IS is a must. I bought an extra battery off ebay for cheap and they work very well. Charge within 90 minutes and last a long time. I couldn't be happier with my FZ15. If I had more money, I would have went with the FZ20 but just didn't have the extra bucks with the other things that I wanted to buy. The Fuji is a good camera but I think you will like the IS with a long lens. Consumer Report just rated the FZ20 the top camera in the 4 to 5 mp range is that tells you anything. They didn't test the FZ15, I guess because it is so similar to the FZ20.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:24 PM   #5

I was in the same Dilemma a month back and I purchased FZ15. I'll tell you how..

I literally scanned the interent for couple of months and I was very much inclined at buying the Fuji S5100. I saw positive reviews in most of the places...But this decision was shortlived. I decided to go to the shop and actually feel both of them in my hands. As soon as I took FujiS5100 in my hand it felttoo light and too small for my comfort..I could not even get my hands around the grip...I found it like a toy:lol: (Imay be biased...coz I like heavier sturdier cameras). Then I took FZ5 and then FZ20...The moment I held FZ20 in my hand...it gave me a real sturdy professional like feel. One advice I would like to give is to go to camera shop...and compare fz15/fz20 (they r exactly the same in weight and dimension) with Fuji S5100...I am sure you would have made up your mind one way or the other (other..if you like light and small cameras).

In last month and half I must have clicked around 1000 of photos on FZ15...and I am sooooo happy with the results... I sometimes think that had I not made that trip to the shop..I would have repented.....

Apart from all that F2.8 throughout 12x zoom is phenomenal...The Image results are comparable with DSLRs at ISO 50/100 . They get noisy on higher ISOs..

In my books I rate FZ15/FZ20 - 9/10 and Fuji would be 6.5/10....

Check out images at this post (used extra filters...but check the image quality)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I am really a novice in photography...but I have also managed to get some good ones..check out http://folsomlake.blogspot.com

Let me know what you end up buying
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

arunpd,

I really like your shots with the fire. I used to go to Folsom lake all the time when I lived in Orangevale.

I was just back in California two weeks ago and from the pictures I have seen I have not seen the lake at that high of a level before. I remember the drought years and all the neat things you found that was lost or tossed in that lake.

I will be coming back out in August for two weeks and will definitely make Folsom Lake one of my stops.

Thanks for sharing,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7

I used to own a Fuji S3000, which I just loved, but then I wanted something a little nicer and opted for the FZ20. It has made a world of difference! The fuji one seems so cheap and light-weight compared to the FZ20 (which I hear is very similar to the FZ10 or FZ15). The zoom is amazing, plus you can add extra lenses and filters with the FZ's (I'm not sure if you can do that with the fuji's, but it definately is a plus). I've had my FZ for a few months now, and I did a lot of research before I purchased it. Definately the right choice - I'm having so much fun with this camera, and I still have a ton of room to grow with it.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:59 PM   #8

He guys...

Finally, after reading your "testimonials"i decided go to FZ (not sure if FZ15 or FZ20, probably FZ15). Iwent to a store aandtook the Fuji S5100 in my hand anf I felt like...as "arunpd" said, a TOY. I think that it is a good camera, buti´mneed somethinh more "professional"feel like.

And, after a lot of hours onWeb comparing both camerasuser´s images, i saw the noticiable differences. The FZ15´s imagesconsiderable better.

I haveNOT intention to become aPhoto professional, but a good equipment is always welcome, mainly if has very good features (IS, Leica lenses, 12X, etc..) for a affordable price!

Thanks a lot....I made up my mind!:-)

Ghiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:59 PM   #9

Ghiggi,

You made the right decision...I am happy you went to the store...otherwise you would have all your life..

Cheers and Happy FZing...
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote