Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:15 PM   #1

The use of a close-up lens with the fz series has atwo primarybenefits; 1)increased magnification and 2)a constant focus or working distance to the subject throughout the zoom. Both are dependnet on the diopter power of the lens. The higher the power the greater the magnification and the shorter the focus distance.A 1.5 diopter lens such as the nikon 3thas a focus distance of about 24". While not the most powerful lens, it does give you plenty of distance to the subject which is essential when using the onboard flash so that no camera shadow is cast on the subject.

The shots below were all taken with the FZ5+ 3tin A priority at f8, ev-2, iso80, flash intensity -1, from about 2 feet away at various zooms.

Gerbera Daisy - 3x zoom

Heliopsis - 6.5x zoom

Honey Suckle - 7.3x zoom

Portulaca - 12x zoom

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:26 PM   #2

Fred...

I really like these. They definitely have the "fmoore" style. The lighting is nice and even, no harsh shadows... These look a tad underexposed - 1/2 stop or so? But I like it, and it works for these pics... they have a stylized, interesting look and by dropping 1 to a 1/2 stop, the colors are more saturated without looking unnatural, nothing is blown out.

My favorite of the series is the Heliopsis - 6.5x zoom. HTe color just pops on that one. The 3t has a good depth of field for flowers, and it seems nice and sharp. These need no work in post what-so-ever. In fact, these are the types of captures that "auto-adjust" tends to wreck.

N
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:38 PM   #3

Honey Suckle is my favorite and I do like the even exposure throughout.

No PP required at all.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:15 AM   #4

very nice shots in the dark , focal plain is hard on a few of theese great results :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5

Fred,
Beautiful shots !
Honey Suckle is my fav.
If I were to try this with the FZ1v2 and the 4T, would it be too close for the flash to work properly ?

Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:55 PM   #6

Austintatious wrote:
Quote:
If I were to try this with the FZ1v2 and the 4T, would it be too close for the flash to work properly ?
Charles - There is a good chance it will work if the fz1 can get focus ok. The 12"focus distance with the 4t should be enough to not cause camera/adapter shadows. (I get similar results with the fz5 and b-macro which is essentilally the same power as the 4t.) These were taken around 8:30 last night so it was pretty dark though not pitch black. The fz5 has the af assist lamp that really comes in handy for these low light shots. Maybe try it a little earlier so there is sufficient light in the sky to get focus or use some relatively dim artifical light. Another feature the fz5 has vs the fz1 is flash intensity setting. Being this close requires toning the flash down considerably. Perhaps using some kind of diffuser would work. Try it and let us know how you made out.

Fred

Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:54 PM   #7

This is with the fz1v2 and the +3 diopter oly bmacro. Same time of day (8:30 pm early june). All settings the same as above. The fz1 doesn't have a flash intensity adjustment but that can be accomplished manually. Hold your right index finger over the flash sensor to the upper right of the lens housing. That will give you the brightest flash -which is too bright. Push back on the opened flash with the index finger of the left hand and manually adjust the direction of the flash slightly upwards. This takes a little playing with but eventually it does a pretty good job as seen here. It really wasn't very dark out and the fz1 had no trouble focusing on the honey suckle. The tight aperture and -2ev gets the dark backgound. This was at a little less than 5x zoom from about 1ft away.

Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:20 PM   #8

Thanks for retaking that shot with the FZ1 of my favorite of your series.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote